Thatching...Aerating...seeding

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by KB Klippers, Aug 29, 2006.

1. KB Klippers

KB Klippers LawnSite Member

I want to offer thatching, aeration, and seeding for the fall/spring etc. I live in western KY. I was going to start this fall. I am curious about the best way to take a crab grass/broadleaf weed infested chitfercrapola excuse for a lawn and turn it into green extacy. I have an array of equipment. I don't have a power seeder, and have never used one. When I was 14, I took a garden rake and thatched this guy's yard, sewed some seed, and fertilized the crap out of it. The yard exploded into green bliss. Now I want to know the right way to do it. Thanks everyone!

KB Klippers

"I can Stripe it...I can cut it...I can leave clumps of grass...I can bag it... I can much it...according to what you want to pay....every week...two weeks...taller grass...mo muneee...":cool2:

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Renovate in fall-- Crab will die off- Grass will grow
    Pre em in spring to keep crab from coming back

3. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

what excately is a overseeder I have never seen one??

4. KB Klippers

KB Klippers LawnSite Member

A power seeder aeriates and seeds the ground mechanically. All you do is load the thing and put gas in it. They rent for 120/day...they must be pretty handy.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would recommend you continue to research the subject, the money is good and knowledge helps.

So as to immediately relieve a bit of the confusion, the term 'overseeding' refers to putting down seed OVER existing lawn, as opposed to a fresh or new lawn seeding. Perhaps a spreader would be the closest thing I can think of to an overseeder.

It has been my experience there exist two schools concerning lawn renovation: one involves dethatching and the other involves aeration but you are either a dethatcher or you're an aerator. It is possible you decide on doing both but I can assure you as a member of the school of aeration that I don't dethatch squat because it goes against the very concept of recycling, and aeration is a recycling process whereas dethatching is not. My dad is a dethatcher, he dethatches once a year and he does like the lawn to be aerated but only for the purpose of the seed to take hold, whereas I like to aerate at least once but twice / year don't hurt my feelings (and regardless of seed), so as to more fully promote and engage the recycling process, and I never dethatched a lawn in my life lol.

It gets a bit confusing as you will see folks using recycling mowers yet dethatching the lawn in the fall, again it is a matter of which process you ultimately believe in - Dethatchers feel thatch must be removed about once a year so the process can begin anew, while Aerators feel the thatch must be churned so it can decompose properly, roughly speaking.

Good luck.

6. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

the overseeders i have used are pretty much dethatchers that use the vibration to spill out seed at whatever the dial is set at. they pull up about half the thatch as a dethatcher would. i think it was called a "slit-seeder" they work great.

7. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

So far, Ive dethatched two lawns this year and one will be aerated/overseeded and one will be powerseeded next weekend. Both lawns were full of thatch and just do much for simply aerating. I cant wait to see how they come on this year and next spring with the dethatch and aerate/powerseed combo. I think that if you keep up on aerating, dont let the lawn get too tall before cutting, keep your blades sharp, etc. that you probably shouldnt have to dethatch for a long time though. But some yards do get filled with too much thatch and aeration alone somtimes wont cut it.