thatching

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Lo Tito Landscape, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Lo Tito Landscape

Lo Tito Landscape LawnSite Member

how much do i charge for thisi have no clue i have aset price for everything else but cant get this to a price i still havent bought a machine just rent one i only do 5 lawns that ask me to do this

2. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well first off you should call it Dethatching, and second it depends on your market, but here in MO I charge $30/1,000 sq ft to dethatch and pickup all the debris and dispose of it. I have a 5,000 sq ft minimum too.

3. sollyj

sollyj LawnSite Member

Wow, Maybe I should move to your area! are you sure you charge $30 per 1000ft2. That would mean for 1 acre you would charge $1300? Maybe I read it wrong. For the guy that was wondering how to price, figure out what its worth per hour ie if it takes you a1/2 hour to mow at $30.00 figure out about how long it will take you to dethatch, and haul. 2.5 hours? =$150 or whatever you charge per hour

4. Ric3077

Ha...Um yes I am sure I charge $30/1000sq ft..most jobs around here are 5k-10kft2...I have yet to do an acre for someone but if I did, I would not lower my price...picking up the debris sucks and I get paid for it.

5. Nik_Danger

Nik_Danger LawnSite Member

when you dethatch a lawn do you use a power rake? I have done a few dethatchings here in Dallas and I used a core aerator. I then sprinkled mulch that contains a high microbe content on the remaining area to help digest the thatch that I didn't get. It works pretty good actually but I have always been curious about a power rake. They seem to do so much damage. What is your opinion...if you use a power rake at all :)

6. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I have done 5 so far this year. I learned quickly that this is a hard & time consuming job. I will not take another dethatching job for less than 200.00

7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

What seems to work(and I say that because I saw every LCO doing this over the course of the past month) is a tine rake type dethatcher mounted on the front of a Z or walk behind, and having some sort of bagging system to collect the thatch.

Power rakes seem to be real hard on the turf, and I've gathered that power raking should only be done if you're going to overseed or slit seed afterwards.

8. Haulin' Grass

Haulin' Grass LawnSite Member
    from CT

Rick3077, nothing sucks if you've got the right tool. I've got a scag 61"w/ a thatcher to match and a bagger. Makes very short work of a yard.

I'm the same as rick for price though

9. Ric3077

Haulin' I use the bagger to pick up the debris...I have the right tools...just don't like doing dethatching jobs...

10. quipit

quipit LawnSite Member

If I can't use a skid mounted Harley Rake...get someone else to do it!