thats a first

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by METRO 36, Nov 9, 2005.

1. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

put in a bid on an average size yard for leaf removel 175.00. I was suppossed to do it yesterday but the wind started blowing 50mph gusting up to 67mph customer calls this morning wanting a reduced amount,claiming most of the leaves have blown away.Ive heard that before needless to say i did the job for 55.00 and it took me abought 45min to do,i had figured 4 hours on the first bid. When i pulled up there it was sweep clean picked up sticks for 20 min bagged leaves for 20 min loaded up collected payment. has this ever happened to any one else before.Usally more leaves blow into my customers yard not out of the yard just wonderin:confused: :confused:

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Actually I looked at a few of my wednesday accounts yesterday as I was driving thru the neghiborhood. Man there was a pile of leaves on a few of them and I was already dreading the next day (today). Well a cold front moved thru last night, blew pretty hard I guess... All the ones I looked at yesterday hardly had much leaf cover at all left!!! My heart certianly was not broken... lol!

3. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

drove past one of my lawns and it hurts to think of what friday morning is going to be like

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

ask him what you think you should do if the wind was blowing the other direction and they all ended up in his yard.

5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

good point. had that happen several times back when i used to bid leaves by the job. now it by the hour.

customer calls for bid. 3 weeks later they finally call back and say do it. you get out there and there are 10 times as many leaves.

6. METRO 36

After i was done the home owner thanked me for lowering my hourly rate,which i dont understnad he must not no his math, because i still charged him 40hr.Plus a 15.00 dump charge 40.00x1=40.00+15.00=55.00
    orginal bid 40.00x4=160.00+15.00=175.00
    I dont see the reduced rate but i didnt tell him any different (lol)

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i would not have done the job

8. METRO 36

just wonderin bobby why would you not have done the job:)

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

when you make your schedule, you anticipitate how much time you'll need on each property, how much material, etc. when an act of god, or a goofy client throws a monkey wrench in the daily schedule, it costs money, but only, if u let it. i had something similar happen the other day. the job was to aerate/seed/thatch a clients lawn. i had things to do, so i dropped a man off w/equipment, and estimated the job would take 2 hrs. when i came back, the man was sitting there. he said the client came out, and told him, he changed his mind. he only wants the one side of the house done. the 2 hr job turned into 45 min, and my man sat there for the rest of the time. the client was billed for the original scheduled job, and u better bet your hiney, he will pay. your first mistake, was agreeing to clean for just one time. the CORRECT way, would be to quote a minimum fee for the month of november , and if the wind helps u out, it's a plus for you. i don't run my business as a "scavenger" type service. not responsible for acts of god

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I hear ya thou I hear the customer on this issue, the leaves were indeed blown away, but this is just the thing frustrates me so with leaves... First there is no accurate way to estimate the jobs, then they always want a discount when it's LESS work but lo and behold best watch out when it turns out to be more work then suddenly some do NOT want to pay more (and I mean do NOT pay more)...

But, I done got tired of the games... I've been doing this for some time and I know what I am doing and I AM good at it... I can clean yards in pretty good time, 1/2 acre lot in 40 minutes yesterday... The thing kicks me is I KNOW it would've taken a raker several hours, even a hardcore backpack couldn't have done it in much under 2, so 40 minutes of MY time is worth 40 bucks no matter how it's looked at.

So...
    For the first time in 4 years I'm going with a blind bid approach and telling my customers very matter of fact it costs based on how long it takes and I will be best able to determine actual cost after I am done... It takes a bit of b@llz but I use the stopwatch and most folks have no further questions once they see the goat in action, it's all over but the crying.

For those who just HAVE to have the price upfront, I will say again I can best determine the cost after I am done... For those who insist beyond that I see no other option but to quote the worst-case scenario price and stick with it. If it doesn't turn out worst-case, they pay what I quoted. For those willing to give me 'offers' (or tell me how much they think it's worth), I will consider their bid once all the rest of my work is done.

I may lose some jobs this way but I just don't care for this game no more...
    A simple attitude helps me out with leaves is if someone else wants to do them, I have no problem with that.
    After all, leaves IS a seller's market and sorry but it is like that for a real good reason (i.e: NOBODY wants to do them).

NOW I'm off to work lol, wish me luck.