that's not a lawn payment!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Mar 15, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

talked to a customer the other day. he wanted bed edging, weekly mowing, cleanups, ferts, mulch, seasonal flowers, shrub trimming, THE WORKS. when i quoted him a monthly fee, his hair stood straight up, " THAT'S NOT A LAWN PAYMENT, THAT'S A CAR PAYMENT!" what is wrong with these people?

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

we'z jus skewl drop owts, n dun need much moneeyz!

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

bobby, was this someone new or one you had been doing business with already?

4. bobbygedd

from NJ

new. but it really wasn't that much (small prop) considering the amount of different work he wanted

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I use Equal Monthly Billing based on 9 months. But lately I have ben thinking is Monthly really the way to go? Does that actually hurt us that do it in the long run? Not from my stand point but from my clients. What I am getting at is this. Lets assume a client is quoted based on $36 a week. On my payment schedule that would be $160 a month. Now the question if the client was writing a check for the $36 a week would that be less likely to hit him like the check for $160 a month. In other words would he "understand" and "see" that he is still paying $160 for the services but doesn't see it as that much if he wrote it at $36 a week?

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

is that only for grasscutting? i wouldn't bill that way for grass only. i bill on a 10 month plan for "a full pkg". this gets me 2 months payment basically in advance, and gets the customer everything he needs, for an equal monthly payment over 10 months. it's called my "never get humped" payment plan. there is no way they can beat you

7. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Never understood you monthly billing guys. You make it near impossible for the customer to compare apples to apples if they want the basics. You are only hurting yourself. $50 a cut, $500 for this, $250 for that, Simple.

You dont see lawn care guys adding 6 apps. together and dividing by 10 to get a monthly fee.

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

koot, i'll tell you why. let's just say you have 25 clients. in april, they all want a spring clean up @$100 each=$2500. bed edging @$100 ea = $2500. an average of 2 yds of mulch per property=$3250. and they all get 2 cuts each in april averaging $29 ea= $1450. if you get nothing in advance, you are billing out $9,700 at the end of the month. you have just worked on a credit basis (bad move). your expenses need to be paid during that time (where did the money come from?), and you will be providing more service to these clients (first week of may) long before they pay for the work you did a month ago. is that a smart way to do things?

9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

BG, I have 4 Levels of Service (Rodfather knows what they are) from Basic Lawn Service (cutting) to Full Service and yes they are all, including just the cut accts billed on equal monthly payments. But as I said I have been giving this second thoughts and may offer both the EMPP and Weekly payments to my basic and standard level customers. The only downside is with the amount of clients I have billing and accting if a lot of them wanted weekly would be almosta nightmare.

10. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

#spring clean up @$100 each=$2500 ...knock on the door when you finish and get a check!

#bed edging @$100 ea = $2500. ...knock on the door when you finish and get a check!

#an average of 2 yds of mulch per property=$3250. .........knock on the door when you finish and get a check!

Mowing is billed at the end of the month.....
    anything else is paid on completion.