1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

That's some intense pressure!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mitchgo, Jul 16, 2010.

1. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Bp's cap is sitting at 6,700 PSI..

When I see systems with 125 psi and see the intense pressure it's hard to believe that the fittings are holding down there... let alone 6,700
  2. must be using more than schedule 40.

MEXANDME LawnSite Senior Member

Megaloc !!!!!!!!
  4. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

And you thought it was hard to cap a pipe with running water at 125 psi...let alone 30 psi.
  5. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't forget that the water at that depth is pushing back.

"the pressure 1 mile down is over 2,280 pounds of force on every square inch of area (2,280 psi) or 155 atmospheres(155 times normal sea level pressure). This is like having a small car (1 ton) pressing down on every 1 inch wide by 1 inch long bit of surface(in the case of the BP spill, this is why the robots are used in place of humans, because the pressure is way to high for the human body)".

Yep, I stole that quote from WikiAnswers.

Still, that is a huge amount of pressure the cap is holdng back.
  6. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

lol... so 2,280 pounds pressing in on the cap.. and 6,700 psi pressing out..

Impressive.. Everyone can still be mad at bp.... but ah in my book I'm giving them props for this cap
  7. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

I would give them props IF they had an emergency plan in place when the initial explosion occurred. According to all the information, there was no emergency plan to contain the well in the event of a catastrophe. I, like others, expected better planning from a company such as BP.