"That's the problem with your kind of people..."

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yacht, Jun 5, 2003.

1. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

That's what he screamed into the phone when I made the phone call to let him know that I was dropping him. This guy is a textbook definition of a PITA customer. Not sure what he meant by "your kind of people" because my practice is that once a business call turns to personal bashing, I terminate the call.

The call started out civil but when he couldn't talk me into continuing service it was like a switch kicked on and he went into this "contractor bashing" mode. I hate that it ended on a sour note because I don't do business that way. I would rather have helped him find someone else because I know of some guys that would like more work. When he started inferring that I'm some type of "bottom feeder" who doesn't no s***t from shinola I decided that he doesn't deserve my help.

2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Yacht- You did the professional thing, you gave him the courtesy of letting him know you weren't going to continue service, and you didn't yell back when he got irate. Some guys wouldn't have even let him know, they just would have stopped showing up.

I know that there are plenty of people out there who look down on working people. Don't let it bother you, you do what you love. I don't know if he was referring to landscapers or contractors in general, but it sounds like this guy would have a problem with ANY contractor.

Hey, look on the bright side, one less PITA to worry about, and you'll probably replace him in no time.

3. Green Thumb Lawncare

Green Thumb Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from Texas

This is probably a stupid question, but what does PITA stand for?

4. lawn gonzo

lawn gonzo LawnSite Member
    from texas

PITA is an acronym for pain in the *****

5. Green Thumb Lawncare

from Texas

Gotcha now. Have a few of those myself.

6. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

Al Inc. thanks for the kind words. This is only the 2nd customer that I've ever had to drop so I'm not good at it. He wouldn't even let me let tell him that I wanted to help he just went into this rampage. He even asked if I was going to continue mowing the other people down the street from him and that I should drop them too since he was the one that "got me into the neighborhood". My wife and I walked the neighborhood 2 times with flyers...that's how I got the additional customers.

Oh well, I'm over it, I'm going to focus on the customers that I have chosen to keep and keep having fun. :)

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

I USUALLY JUST STOP SHOWING UP

8. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

bobby not showing up is not good for our industry!!! Makes us look like we are not dependable.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

it was a joke. however, if i need to cancel service, i send a letter stating such, and do not waste one more minute on them

10. Green Thumb Lawncare

from Texas

I have one that I plan to drop, but it is an easy $25, so I may try to hang onto it for a little longer. Their yard is basically dirt, and I won't use my commercial mower on it, so with my little 22", I have to clean the air filter at least once while mowing the front yard. And then I get to move on to the back yard where it looks like they've been testing missles or something, and the Dog Sh**, oh my. Not only that, but I just received her last pmt back from my bank, and her check was HOT. I went by last night to hand deliver an invoice with a copy of the check and a charge for the hot check, and the excuses started flying. So I told her that I would continue to mow, but it had to be cash up front, no more checks. She seemed to understand, So we'll see.