That's what you get for using other ppl's stuff

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Tim@AcesLCLS, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Tim@AcesLCLS

Tim@AcesLCLS LawnSite Member

I went out today for my first day of work and started cleanups, we went out armed with my dad's old residential ride-on, a thatcher, a blower, and some hand tools. Of course just after I finished the thatching but before I could suck up .5 acres of thatch and leftover leaves the blade hub on the mower starts digging up chunks of lawn and when I say chunks we are talking like 5lbs at a time. I hate the piece of #%^& and I have learned my lesson for trying to mow with anything non-commercial, it thatches fast as hell though.

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

we have all been there....

when your just 1st starting out it's NOT wise to go buy NEW equiptment...

and yeaaa I'm speaking from experance.... I mowed about 5 acres yesterday with a craftsman 12 hp home mower......

took me allmost all day....

3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Screw that. I bought new stuff when I started.

4. Tim@AcesLCLS

Tim@AcesLCLS LawnSite Member

I figured it was an investment in resources to use what I had readily available all it was a an investment in another day doing cleanups and screwing with my other projects.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

After I went through a similar experience, I spent the next year or two saving up my money so I could buy some half decent equipment. That was around the year 2000 and I started officially in spring '02 but my first new machine came around '05, I bought used Wb's for 1000 each before that. One thing's for sure, no two Wb's are exactly the same, buying used let me shop around until I found the one I wanted, and that's what I bought new.

Even today all I have is that one new one, and my trusty '98 that I bought my 2nd year, I just put a new tranny and engine in it, runs like a champ all over again. Well, I did buy the Z last October, but the 48" Wb's are my main machines.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is a very good point - and is directly related to what I was going to say. It was first said that it pays to go out and buy brand new equipment. Actually, buying brand new is NOT the answer. The answer is having something that is built for and capable of doing the job at hand. I can go out and buy a used mower tat is built right (commercial) and will cut WAY more grass and/or do more work than ANY "brand new" machine that is not built commercially...even if it "looks" like a commercial unit. In other words, a used walk behind will out do a brand new Home Depot John Deere "Z". I will have as much (or less) into the real machine, - the difference is, a TRUE commercial machine is built to run all day - every day.

7. NELawnCare

NELawnCare LawnSite Member

I agree. If you can afford it, do it. I did it too.

8. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

That's why I bought my old clunker Ranosmes Bobcat 36". I paid the same 400 bucks I woulda spent on a Home Cheapo Toro. Bought it from a small engine repairman. I haven't gotten to use it yet but I went to start it yesterday just so it doesn't sit for too long and even through the cold weather, my 20 yr old machine STARTS RIGHT UP. Gives me more faith that it can take a beating during the season.

9. Darrin A.

Darrin A. LawnSite Member

I think we have the same machine. :) I got mine 2 years ago for $350. Had a few problems but, at that age and that many hours, you expect to. I wouldn't go without commercial unless I absolutely had to. I got a used 48" bobcat last year for free. 8 hours and $55.30 later, it ran great. :clapping: Good luck with it.

10. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

can I hi-jack for a minute? Darrin A. - where can do you get your blades from? do you get them from the dealer or do you get 'em online. Also which blades do you use. I still have a few days but I looked underneath mine a few days ago and they looked like heck. Also, do you know if I can put double blades on it cuz I looked on a website that offered Bobcat parts and I saw some standard blades and gator blades but no option for double blades? Do you just stack one on top of the other perpendicular to each other or what? I figured while I had the chance, I would ask someone who has had one