The 100,000 Mile mark for ZTR's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brookline, Jan 18, 2011.

1. brookline

brookline LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking to add a used ZTR as well as a new one. I am wondering what the breaking point is on ZTR's as in the amount of hours on them when you would be leery of buying or think about replacing it with a newer one. I will be working them in a full route. I would just like to know the general expectancy before major repairs are eminent.
  2. nolanjim

nolanjim LawnSite Member

As in major you mean the engine and hydraulics then for commercial ztrs 2000 hours if well taken care of. Some even longer. It's usually first few hundred hours when something major does happen.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. brookline

brookline LawnSite Senior Member

Yes you are correct. I did mean the engine as in rebuild or replace and the same with the hydrualics. So you suggest I look for something with much less than 2000 hours.... I saw a Scag turf tiger for $2900 with 1875Hrs on it. The price has me seriously thinking about it. I just want to at least make it through the summer without a major rebuild on my hands. Wish I could afford 2 new ones but I just have to make due.
  4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I'm going to disagree with the previous poster a little bit...

2000 hours seems to be an average life span for commercial ztr's. A helpful rule (while not always true) is just to multiply the horse power of the engine by 100 to get the hours you will see out of it. So if you have a 25hp engine, you could get 2500 hours out of the engine. That's not always true, but it may give you a ball park figure. However, the lifespan of an engine will depend greatly on the maintenance you provided, good maintenance will mean a longer life.

Buying used equipment with over 1000 hours is always a gamble, thats about the time when hydro pumps, spindles, etc., could be going out.

Things aren't going to break when the engine is new, like the previous poster said. Usually the first few hundred hours is trouble free. Its once you get 1000+ hours on the mower when things break. As far as an engine goes, 2000 hours is a good number, but don't be surprised if an engine fails at 1500 hours or 3000 hours.
  5. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Got one with close to 1000hrs. Always kept inside. Keep it blown off. Grease every time out. Change the scalp rollers and bolts every year. Change the oil every 50hrs. Hydro fluid each year. Its a 07 and in excellent shape. Probably will go 2000hrs with no problems. I have seen a 08 and would not buy it because it was junk with 1350hrs. Depends on how they are treated, serviced and who runs them. Then it also depends on what brand it is. Was at one dealer and he was sending a lot of wheel mtrs off. And they were off one brand.
    Jack them up check the front brgs, take the belts off and check the spindles. Look them over close if used. Some dealers tell you to trade at 700hrs and don't go over 1000 to get the most money out of them. I don't agree with that on my equipment.
  6. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

i lost my hydros at 300 hours, the engine is starting to go at 500 hours, and i used to take very bad care of it. One of my life experiences that comes with youth. If i took care of the mower it could be in much better condition than it is in right now. your best luck with a used mower is to take it to a mower repair man and have him inspect it before you buy it. if the guy your buying it from doesnt want to go than you should instantly have red flags.
  7. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Generally speaking, I agree with mowerbrad ... his advice is pretty much on target !!
  8. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

True Brad-

Except with diesels. I tend to think you can get a few more hours with them as opposed to a gas engine.
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen that if the mowers have the maintenance done at at least the intervals specified in the manual and the mower hasn't been beat too badly, that you can expect at least 3,000 hours. 4,000 hours seems to be the upper limit before the mower starts falling apart and needs a good amount of money to replace items like the pullies, springs, hydro hoses and control assemblies, safeties, caster bearings, deck support bushings etc.

As you've read in this thread, the engines and hydro systems tend to be tempermental and are subject to failure at almost any time after they roll off of the showroom floor.
  10. nolanjim

nolanjim LawnSite Member

Yes, I've still had more major failures early during warranty period than later. In late I mean 1000-3000 hours, anything after is kind of expected. Imo.
    Posted via Mobile Device