The 120' creek bed is a go / reservoir capacity

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by mdvaden, Jun 12, 2006.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

The creekbed I had the question about in the other thread, is now "a go".

This will be interesting, regarding the reservoir.

I'm going to design the first 40' or so as a long narrow pool so that it's mainly-level course doesn't drain when the feature is shut off. Then, the next 70' or so, will slant downhill at a slight angle.

I'm going to place the auto-fill float in a hidden valve box where the pump is, but I'm going to attach and adjust the auto-fill after the creekbed completely fills. So the auto level will be at the lowest level in the reservoir.

That way, when the creek's timer shuts off the pump at night, the reservoir won't overflow by 50 excess gallons.

The pond book by Nash and Hughes had a formula to measure creekbed water capacity, but it's based off a 3" deep flow. They must use huge pumps. I doubt that I'll see more than 1/2" deep going over small wiers in this thing.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I try for around 1-2" height in the flow in my gushers. Personally I love the rapids look and sound. Some people do want the trickle 1/2" height flow. Those take much more patience to install all the rocks level and foam properly.

3. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

And, the initial stages begin. I used a 13 hp Barretto walk-behind rototiller to prep the shape.

Now I'll hook up the pump, place any "foamed-in" rocks, and then let the water flow. On this kind of thing, I like to place rock while it's running.

creekbed.JPG

creekbed2.JPG

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

At the moment, you've made a really cool slip 'n' slide :laugh:

5. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

what size lines & pump were you running to keep the water flowing?