The 31DFI Kohler or 29DFI for my new TT?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by create_username, Apr 1, 2008.

1. create_username

create_username LawnSite Member

I've been a Kawi guy for years and had decided on the 29 DFI but now that I've heard about the Kohler 31 DFI I don't know which one to get. My dealer says there's nothing wrong with Kohler but I've had such good luck from Kawi's. I really don't know on this one. Which would you guys get?

Thanks for your help.

2. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Tough call, what are the prices? I had a 26 efi Kohler that was a big headache, but I think I'm the only one. I went with the 29 Kaw due to my experience but from what I've heard the 28 Kohler is a great engine. Is the kohler liquid cooled? These are just questions I would look at but as far as advice I'm clueless. We love our 29 Kaw so for what thats worth.

3. create_username

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think it has been used enough in commercial ZTR applications to give you any good advice. I'm not sure if it's new engine or just new to the ZTR market.

5. create_username

Tacomma have you demo'd the 29 kawi? If you have what are your impressions of the 2 performance wise? I noticed you have the 31 kohler on your sig.

6. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

how about a 25hp kubota? i was at the dealer and they only wanted about $1200 more for the kubota over the dfi kawi. i think running a diesel would save you more money then running a dfi engine. thats just the story the dealer told me, kubota burns less then 1 gph and the dfi 29hp is over 2 so he says.

7. tacoma200

I just got a very good deal on the 31 Briggs. They were trying to get rid of it and they put a Velocity deck on it. The body is an 05 and the deck is an 06. I only gave a little over $8,000 for it with a full warranty. I really like the 29 Kawasaki, it just didn't have as much torque when we compared them side by side. Given the choice again it would be hard to choose between the shear power of the Briggs or the liquid cooled dependability Kawasaki is known for.

8. create_username

Tacome. I was fine with the Kawi untill my dealer preached Kohler to me and I find out that there is now a 31hp Kohler. After reading countless posts I still don't which one I want. I've read pro's and con's on both but the Kawi gets the most pro's however spending 10k I want to be sure. Has your experience been better with the Kawi or Kohler?

9. tacoma200

Kawasaki is the favorite engine on Lawnsite, and after reading these post for years I think they are the most reliable. Nothing wrong with Kohler, many unit's are getting 2,500 to 3,000 hrs out of them (air cooled at that). This new Kohler may be a fine engine but it's just that, a new engine. How can your dealer tell you it's better when it has no history. The Kawasaki has been out long enough that if it had any major problems we would have known by now. Just like Kohler came out with a 30 hp air cooled engine and they had all kinds of problems and kits to try to fix them. Word got out fast on Lawnsite. The Kawasaki 29 dfi is a solid performer, the 31 Kohler is unproven.
    I would buy the Kawasaki and sleep well with my decision! Your dealer is in the minority in not recommending Kawasaki as a good choice.

10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

You are calling this a Kohler DFI and this is Kohler's description.

I have no idea about this engine other than it is a horizontal shaft and liquid cooled but I will say this, there has never been a Kawasaki made that does everything as perfectly as the Kohler 28 EFI I run.

I just happened to have gotten one that cranks as soon as the engine turns over no matter how hot or how cold the outside temperature is. The engine uses no oil will engage the blades at the lowest rpm setting without changing sounds, switches off perfectly and has never shown a hint of smoke at any time.

I would say if I bought a new one tomorrow it could not possibly be as perfect as this one is and more than likely it would not be as good.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prev

This horizontal-shaft, gasoline-powered 31HP engine features electronic fuel injection, liquid cooling and twin cylinders. Cast iron cylinder liners and aluminum block construction complement a 4-cycle, overhead-valve design.

Easy Dependable Starts
    Electronic ignition system
    Solenoid shift starter
    Electronic fuel injection
    Reliability & Long-life Design
    Cast iron cylinder liners
    High-flow cooling fan
    Coolant thermostat
    Large-capacity, interference-fit air filter with foam pre-cleaner
    Multi-layered steel head gaskets
    Hydraulic valve lifters
    Lost foam cast cylinder heads
    Full-pressure lubrication
    Spin-on, full-flow oil filter
    Peak Power Performance
    Overhead valve (OHV) V-twin design
    Increased displacements
    High-inertia flywheel
    Breather separator system
    Quiet, Smooth Operation
    Mechanical governor
    Silenced air intake
    Integrated belt-driven water pump
    CARB & EPA Emission Certified
    User-friendly Maintenance
    Coolant overflow bottle
    Heat exchanger cap
    Dual oil drains
    Easy-access oil fill/dipstick
    Boden wire controls
    Three-year limited warranty

Specifications
    Shaft: Horizontal
    Cylinders: V-Twin
    Cooling: Liquid
    Engine Type: 4-cycle, gasoline, OHV, cast iron cylinder liners, aluminum block
    MODEL Aegis LH775
    MAX. POWER @ 3600 RPM hp (kW) 31 (23.1)
    DISPLACEMENT cu. in. (cc) 45.6 (747)
    BORE in. (mm) 3.3 (83)
    STROKE in. (mm) 2.7 (69)
    PEAK TORQUE @ MAXIMUM lbs. ft. (Nm) 47.7 (64.6) @ 2400
    COMPRESSION RATIO 8.7:1
    DRY WEIGHT lbs. (kg) 116 (52.6)
    OIL CAPACITY U.S. quarts (liters) 2.0 (1.9)
    LUBRICATION Full pressure with full-flow filter
    DIMENSIONS L x W x H in. 17 x 18.1 x 26.5

*Includes radiator & fan. Length is radiator to closure plate. Width is radiator, side-to-side. Height is mounting surface to rain cap.

Kilowatt (kW) and horsepower (HP) specifications for Kohler general purpose engines are calculated pursuant to the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J1940 for horsepower ratings - calculated with the air cleaner and muffler removed, per the SAE standard. Actual engine horsepower is lower and affected by, but not limited to, accessories (air cleaner, exhaust, charging, cooling, fuel pump, etc.), application, engine speed and ambient operating conditions (temperature, humidity and altitude). The reason for this standard is to provide consistent measurement to customers who may want to control the intake and exhaust features of the engine. It is important to note that the power output of all Kohler engines is always as advertised. For more information, contact Kohler Co. Engine Engineering Department. Kohler Co. reserves the right to change product specifications,designs and standard equipment without notice and without incurring obligation.