The 36 inch Stander Deck Comparison Thread

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by FastMan, Dec 24, 2012.

1. FastMan

FastMan LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to be buying a new 36 inch stander very soon, and would like to hear your feelings/experience with the cutting prowess of the decks of that width from the various manufactures who offer models in that category.

I'll be using it on southern grasses, specifically Florida. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

2. ric1

ric1 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Well what do you want to know. I'm running a 36" stander ( Toro Grandstand) with the 7 gauge Turbo Force deck and it's the best cutting deck I've ever used. I really like the adjustable Flow baffle for different types of grasses and conditions. With so many people putting up fences the 36" deck works well for gates and it rides fantastic, best purchase I ever made in a mower.

3. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic

I hear the Great Dane Surfer 34" machines cut really well. They go 9.5 MPH too!

4. FastMan

Thanks, ric. The grandstand is on my short list. Where are you located? I know different decks excel in different areas. I have a turbo force 60 inch on a G3 and love it too. I wanted to hear how it performed in the 36 inch version, especially as I've found it's not as deep as the 60 inch, so I'm glad you chimed in.

How does it give you any problems with the front lifting up on you? I demoed larger deck version and noticed it was lifting up on me more than I liked. I'm a big guy, though, and was operating it on very hill terrain.

Also, I've been reading about some issues of boil over after running for a while with the Grandstands. Worries me a bit as I'll be operating in Florida.

5. FastMan

Thanks, I'll look into them. Anyone else have experience with them?

6. ric1

ric1 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I'm in central Florida (Tampa/St Pete area) I have no problem with the cut and all my lawns are St Augustine and Bahia. I've never had any problems with the mower and never encountered any lifting in the front end and I don't use any weights.
    I go about 190 most of the time and I think it's supposed to take a 300lb rider. I'm not sure what you mean when you say issues with boil over but I'm going to assume your talking about the motor or drives getting hot, if so I've never had an issue with anything like that and I've been out mowing in temps of 105 degrees and better with no issues so I wouldn't let that worry you.

7. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

Subscribing

8. FastMan

ric, thanks again. That's all very reassuring. Especially since you're out their using the unit in the very same state I'm heading to. Can't get much more relevant feedback. The GS just took a giant step up on my list.

9. Above Par Lawns

Above Par Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I am leaning towards the Toro as well. All the equipment at the golf course I work at is Toro. I just feel really comfortable on the Grandstand compared to anything else I've looked at. Our mechanic could easily work on it and we're pretty tight with the Toro rep that comes in so that's a plus as well. DECISION MADE!

10. Above Par Lawns

Above Par Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have the roller on it? I need a mower that's gonna stripe well. I deal with mainly cool season grass. Anyone have any pictures of how it stripes?