The 36" Question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Ocean Side, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Ocean Side

Ocean Side LawnSite Member

How much of an area do you think that you can cut with a 36" W/B in an hour?

Or How long to cut 1/2 an acre with a 36" W/B?

2. BRIDGE577

BRIDGE577 LawnSite Member

it's been a long time since I've used a 36 but if I remember right 1 acre an hour depending how fast you can walk.

3. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on the mower and operater. I would think 1/2 acre can be done in 25 minutes with a productive operator.

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 36" w/b, hydro. I have to really hustle to get 1 acre per hour mowed. This happens on lots that are 1.5 acres, or greater. I use a BullRider sulky on those lots, even to get to the 1 acre/hour rate.

My typical half-acre lots require nearly an hour to finish. The open mowing is one part of the job. The time required to do the trimming, edging, blow down, loading/unloading, etc all adds up. No matter what size mower you have, all the extras are pretty well fixed times. Most of my half-acre lots have some portion mowed with a hand mower because of terrain, narrow penninsulas, or other reasons.