The 6.0 Demons finally got me..

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mow king, May 27, 2009.

1. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

I've always been a fan of the 6.0, sold my first one with ~110,000 miles on it and was problem free throughout its life.

My current 05 has 41k miles on it and it's currently at the dealer getting a blown head gasket fixed, thankfully its under warranty but I'm without my truck until Friday :cry:

2. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

Silverado????

3. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

Powerstroke

4. mow king

Yeah...F250

5. VirginiaLawnCare

VirginiaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Other then the few problems the 6.0 has its made up for in power. Im still a bigger fan of the 7.3's though.

6. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

What yr was the one with the blown head gaskets? Did it have a programer ?

7. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

You are a lucky one. Some have no problems like your first one and others are plagued with problems after the first 5,000 miles are on them. I do agree I liked the 7.3 better after you spend about 2 to 3 grand on building the Tranny up to handle the power correctly. They were very good on power and got good fuel millage plus you didn't have to worry about them leaving you along the road.

8. mow king

Yeah, I would of gotten another 7.3 (I've had them in the past) but they are nearly impossible to find with lower miles and the Torqshift tranny is a night and day difference over the E4OD.

This truck did have a banks 6gun tuner on it, never took it out of the lowest power setting. When I get it back from the dealer I think I'm pulling the programmer off.

9. VirginiaLawnCare

VirginiaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't pull it off the 6.0 loves banks stuff.

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The 6.0 engines are already pushing their limits powerwise so adding a tuner is just a little too much. With the 6.0s producing so much turbo boost the head gaskets have a h*ll of a time holding the pressure.

I looked for 1.5 years for a 7.3 I gave up so it was take a chance on the 6.0.

I didn't want to buy a high kilometerage truck then your getting into changing the springs and rebuilding the truck. Been there done that with previous trucks.

I haven't had to do head gaskets knock on wood but the turbo has been replaced etc. I have a 6spd manual so you can't drive it has hard as a automatic. You don't get the continous high boost because every shift you make the boost drops off not like a automatic the shifts are quick so the boost never drops.

It is probably why the head gaskets in my 03 F-450 are orginal.

It also helped that the truck has been worked on by a Ford dealer with diesel mechanics. The truck orginally come from a Ford/Sterling dealer. The dealer in my area is also fairly good with diesels.