The 9/11 Memorial in NYC- foolish tree choices?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnguyland, Dec 19, 2007.

1. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

With all respect due the subject....

I heard on radio that at the memorial at ground zero they are going to use sweetgums and oaks surrounding the reflection pools. Now, they are great trees and all, but did they consider the mess? In spring you get the oak flowers that dry and turn to brown stringy tumbleweeds. Then in fall not only the leaves, but acorns and those sweetgum sticky balls (seed pods) all winter. Now, if they plant asexual varieites of some kind or use deflowering agent injections or sprays it may be another story and not even an issue. All that mess though falling into the water, on the sidewalks. Does that sound wise? Does anyone know more about the plan? I'm not making a judgement. I don't have all the info about the plan- just throwing the thought out there and seeing where it lands- anyone know anything more about the plan at ground zero-particularly the trees/landscaping? I'll google it after this post.

2. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

They are probably using sweetgums for the same reason all building contractors use them. PRICEpayup and I am sure they will charge just as much for them as any other tree. Part two of that is also how quickly they grow.

3. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

with the amount of money being poured into this job, i highly doubt price has anything to do with it...

4. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Not the price for the government. The price for the contractors. They get to pocket more money when they put in cheap tree's.

Can someone explain to these two how alot of larger companies who can handle the really big jobs operate. especially building contractors.Thanks

5. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

The contractors don't make the specs for trees selection, the LA's do....the contractors bid on the job based on the specs.

6. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

No kidding, my BIL is a top guy at an elevator Co. in NYC that is doing the new construction.....big, big dollars, all custom made components, etc.

7. AintNoFun

hey know it all. get a clue. someone designs the job and the landscape contractor installs it. if the trees dont match spec/plans they dont get paid. so how do they pocket. just worry about $35 lawn cuts. and btw: we were asked to bid this job for slattery skanska but wasn't low bidder. so we can handle these jobs. govt work is 95% of our work. thanks for playing

8. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

But what do you think of the choice of trees?

9. AintNoFun

lol i learned not to have an opinion and just do what im told.. the site will be a mess but im sure the pa nj/ny will just sub out the maintenance and let someone else deal with. we just planted 300 arbs along a roadside in the MIDDLE of deer country last week. there should be nothing left of them.. la's have no real world knowledge of landscaping, most are only text book smart. all their designs/drawings look good on paper but in the real world, suck.. im amazed with the stuff they come up with, but they got their stamp and thats all they need...

10. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Ha! You know squat about NY politics! The LA's will get kickbacks on the maintenance contracts, and in fact, probably have a vested interest in them!

They will manage to spend 5 times the money a good design would cost because they are greedy and crooked. They will get a piece of the maintenance pie one way or another, and that's why it will cost so much.

Case in point.... when Pataki was governor, he appointed guys with vested interests in the companies that did contracting work for the subway system. They padded Pataki's $ arsenal. They then got appointments to the board of directors for the MTA... the authority that runs, plans and allocates money for the subways.

I could write a litany of similar things Gulliani has done. They are crooks... all of em.