The A/C on in the truck debate...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOOLIE, Jul 12, 2006.

1. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

OK I've read many opinions on this...this year for the first time really I have a truck with air that can also pull a trailer at highway speed. So I'm crankin' the air. Now some guys feel that it's "bad" or somehow you "unclimatize" yourself by cooling off. Seems that when your body is overheated sitting in the AC is the smart thing to do.

Personally I feel a lot better and able to tackle each job after a brief trip in the AC.

Opinions?

2. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I never use A/C. I have the driver side window always down to let air in (passenger side up to keep grass out). The only time I could really use it is on the Wednesday route. Thursday and Friday routes are soo tight I only get in the truck to move it down the street.payup

3. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Since I own the truck, I'll decide when, and if the a/c is on. It's on going down the highway. If the workers don't like a/c let them sit in the bed of the truck. Later, Tony

4. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ahhhhhhhh nothing like getting into a 50-degree cab on a 100-degree day.

My Mitsubishi-Fuso has a tiny cab and a 15,000 btu air conditioning. It gets so cold the widows sweat on hot days.

(Diesel tactic only: don't leave a gasser idling unattended on hot days it will likely overheat or develop carbon deposits in the engine).

5. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I never use my AC just keep the drivers side window down.

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I have never used the AC either. Makes it easier to get out of the truck when its just about as hot inside the truck:)

7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We use it on hot days. What we do is crank it full blast till we are about 5 minutes from the next job site then turn it on low. About 2 minutes away we turn it off and roll the windows down. That way when you jump out you dont get the cold to hot shock.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I've never used A/C in the truck in all my short years...
    Then again, none of my trucks ever had it working :laugh:

That's about the only thing I think A/C affects, is the ability to get the tail back out into the fray :cry:

9. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

as far as gas mileage, i read that if you are driving over 40 mph then its better to have the a/c on to prevent the drag from your windows being down. under 40 then its better to have the windows open. as far as a/c when cutting, i use it when i need it.

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Both of the trucks I have owned, had working and cold blowing A/C. In my last truck which I had about 2 years, I ran the A/C maybe a dozen times TOPS! The F150, which I have had for a year has only had the air on when I need to take family to the doctors or something like that. I never run the A/c when I drive. I work outside in the heat all day and have grown soemwhat a customed to it so it doesn't bother me to much. If it did, I'd be looking for a new job and I don't plan on that happening any time soon!