1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The absolute STRAIGHT DOPE on mailboxes

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Chilehead, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I have read plenty of posts/threads on this site concerning the the legality of placing advertisements in or on mailboxes. According to the following link from the US Postal Service, no advertisement can be placed in or on a mailbox, its flag, or its post. Read articles 3.1.3 and 3.2.5 specifically. I got caught today by a fairly irate mailman who declared to have me fined for every piece of advertising I placed. He mentioned that every piece will be confiscated and turned over to the authorities. Just want to keep you guys out of trouble. Select, copy, and paste the link into your browser.
  2. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

That's good to know. Maybe the fast cash place will stop leaving stuff on my mailbox flag.
  3. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

that's why door hangers are so popular.... I thought this was common knowledge.
  4. maybe its me but I didn't need to read that, I was always told do not do you will get in trouble so I didn't do it, like listen to cops and don't run from them, and if your going to be doing that wear protection. kind of common sense things, but we don't have that anymore.
  5. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

thats why we all use door hangers or flyers that are lefted under the door mat...............
  6. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Here in metro Atlanta it's common to find ads on your mailbox almost on a daily basis. It's just so out of control that the PO in this area don't bother to enforce the law. I find everything from business cards to menus on my mailbox.
  7. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

We buy newspaper bags online and put in our flyer and Paver catalog and throw em right from the truck. I can go through a few hundred in an hour.
  8. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you many jobs from this method? Do you ever get complaints? Some folks don't like stuff thrown in their yard.
  9. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

No lie, I once collected this trash from my entire neighborhood and dumped it on a guy's front lawn. Then I threw some other trash on it as well for good measure. He got the message.
  10. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a good way to a butt whuppin. Why would you do that. It was an ad. So I suppose when you get junk mail, you collect all your neighbors and take your weekly trash and dump it at the post office?

If something like this bothers you so much, you have underlying problems you need to have evaluated.