The art of selling

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Aug 15, 2008.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Man do hate selling!! This is one main reason I stopped doing installs. I don't like selling a job. I do not like giving someone a proposal for a $2000-$8000+ sprinkler system. It honestly seems like a waste to me.

I looked at a backyard install today. 3 zones with 12 total rotors. backflow, controller and wires in place. Open dirt lot. $2250. When I wrote up the proposal, I dreaded going up to the homeowner and presenting it. I basically folded it, handed it to him with my business card and just kind of said "please discuss it with your wife and call with any questions". Actually a little more than that, but not much more.

I kind of get the idea they will get lower bids anyway. She told me over the phone "Other companies have told me $500 per zone. What's a zone?" So I know I will be higher in price than the others. I did tell the husband that, but also stressed that we are a service company first, and will be around to service it in the future.

I could never be a salesman. Good luck Tony :)

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

I love selling systems.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

::::Falls over :::::

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

If I got back into doing installs, I would have to hire Tony as my parttime sales guy. instead of being Sprinklerguy, he can now be SalesGuy.

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

The key to selling is to make yourself stand out from the rest. I also like to find something to connect with the prospect. When I get there I take a look around, what do I see? a fishing boat? snowmobiles, a Harley? Those things will always come up in conversation. Usualy if they have a dog , they end up buying from me.

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I always try to interact with the dogs too. Kids on the other hand.... keep 'em away.

It is good to find some interaction or common interest. Met with a client that wants a couple new zones and other additions. He brought up the fact that I was wearing a Red Sox cap. So I mentioned I was born there, born a Sox fan, blah, blah, blah. he mentioned he went to law school at Boston College, etc., etc. I try and look around the garage actually - hey nice tools; nice fly rods; cool motorcycle I've never ridden one. Try to spark a little conversation.

7. Selling can be fun. I focus on education. I do believe in doing as little prep as possible. Where selling kills you is when you invest a lot of prep time and then don't get the job. Just have a great schtick, bring your calendar, and ask them when you can schedule the job on it.

8. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear ya Man...........

I don't know how install guys do it so cheap........what a minute they do crap work and WE fix it later.

9. It's also a lot easier to close sales with Old People:)

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah they just forget the next day that you ripped 'em off!! :laugh: