The Art of The Deal

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Team-Green L&L, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Let's discuss the art of selling or "the deal". I'm sure a lot of you have already read "The Donald's" book and "The Secret" and "How To Win Friends and Influence People", and a slew of other books as I have, but let's examine the art from a service industry's perspective.

This is not a thread for advertising ideas, but rather "closing dialog". When the customer is in rebuttal mode. What did you do the "get it signed"?

I have to go to an estimate right now, but I will post more later. I hope some of you all reply before then.

2. Crusis

Crusis LawnSite Member

Right now as a new company, this is something we're very interested in improving. My wife does most of the customer relations, and unfortunately her sales skills need some sharpening.

Just the other day she was talking to a customer about aeration with me nearby, and she said "We can do it for you this Wednesday, unless you want to wait."

I told her later her line should have been, "We should do it Wednesday, we have a good opening in our schedule and your yard will get good attention then."

I really don't think you should ever verbalize anything that indicates not taking your service is a good move.

But this is our first year, she's learning to sell as well as all the other stuff that comes with her name on a business, and I'm learning all the details of the equipment and the how-tos. Since empty bank accounts are inspirational, I'm certain we will only get better, and fast.

3. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

For me I start closing the minute I meet them. From a clean appearance, a firm hand shake, and engaging conversation. I try and let the potential customer know that it is all about them. Let them lead the conversation. I try and not talk too much. When I am asked a question keep it short and to the point.

When it comes to my part, explaining the contract, that is where you have to shine. I go through the entire contract with them with confidence, explaining how it benefits them to use my company. Go over every line item and then hand them the contract. Don't ever have a doubt they are going to sign it. This is for the lawn and landscape maintenance.

Landscape installs are a little different. I go over the design, our plan, and then tell them what we do different from other companies with out ever saying, "we do things different." When you know what you do and why you do it the customer will understand that you are a step above the rest. I don't ever tell them "We aren't going to be the cheapest." By the end of my conversation they are going to know that we aren't the cheapest, but I am after quality seeking clientele. At the end tell them "We will start on ______" You will be suprised how many will say okay that sounds great.

The main key to selling is being confident and believing in your product and service because if you don't believe yourself then they are definintely not going to believe you.

4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

off the subject but donald trump is a tard... i wouldn't take read or want to hear anything hes got to say... hes screwed so many people through his bankruptcies and paying pennies on the dollar its disgusting...

5. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

There are several things I will do depending on the situation. I always like to explain things in simple terms that the customer can understand. Explain the process and walk around the property and create a visual of what it will look like. I also explain what it may look like if I do not do something. For example I will explain the difference of hand pruning and shearing. Since hand pruning is an up sell I go on to tell them all the negatives about shearing. There are many ways to up sell and differentiate yourself from the competition. Many times I will tell the customer costly problems they may encounter when using someone else. This gives the customer the assurance that you will not make these mistakes. Assure them that you will also be there after the job is done if they have any question or concerns. I think the best way to close the deal though is to have a very good reputation. I've just touched on a few and am sure there will be many more from other posters.

6. Team-Green L&L

Finally I have a second to post here.

I figure there are multiple areas of selling. Telephone, cold calls (almost illegal), direct mail, web promos, PR, etc. The list goes on. So let's be organized on this thread to keep it as informative and navigation friendly as possible.

Here is my first entry. Let's start with telephone sales and dialog. What is good practice and what "CLOSES" because it is important to sell without crossing the line of ethics:

Keys to Sales:

Telephone:

1. Know when your time is up. Don't let the party feel awkward by
    fast-talking your way into their time for productivity.

2. If you get a spontaneous lead from someone ie; A friend calls to say "so
    and so" is looking for your service and told me to have you call him" wait
    at least 1 hr. before contacting them. People get "startled when
    solicited too quickly).

3. Be sure to relay a cost of some value and benefits within the first 5
    minutes of conversation. You can easily "over-sell" a product or service
    that you are zealous about.

4. Be able to answer this question fluently, "Why should I use your
    product/service over your competitors'?"

5. If your product or service is a great value (wholesale) and you are
    offering it to the public, it is important to have a clear and concise
    explanation as to "how or "why" you can do/sell at your prices?

7. Team-Green L&L

No harm done, but please let this post be an example of how a thread like this can turn sour. In order to give LS a great thread for people to search and use in the Sales season is important. Let's keep these spontaneous rants off the keyboard.

8. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

I usually say "I'd be glad to fit it in this week or early next week" after giving the price. It makes me seem like I am happy to help them (which I really am because I am giving them what they want in order to get what I want ).

9. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

Team Green go ahead and step up here. You've got some good ideas so lets's hear them.

we've been doing a commercial account all year long with no contract. It a new dentist office and now at the end of the season, I need to secure this account.

I'm going to meet them this morning trying to get them on a contract for this year. I have to explain why it's to their benefit that I DONT keep providing pay as you go service.