The BBB called me this morning!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by All_Clear, Jun 27, 2006.

1. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

Wanted me to sign up and pay membership dues, she said they are selective and offers are by invitation only (sounds like a good sign now sales pitch to me) Being sol proprietor it was going to cost me $300 some odd dollars.

Now i understand the need and usage for the BBB. But my question is how many "smaller LCO's" are using it.

The cost is fully deductible and the use of there logo in any print ad would be a plus, along with being on their website.

I just wanted to see how many others are using the BBB and what benefit do you feel it has brought you, more business? better customers? etc....

What is your take on the BBB... in general....

I've personally only used it once and that was to check out an online site. Do people really check out small town business?

Thanks
    All Clear

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I think the only time a customer is going to go on the BBB is if you do shotty work and they get to bust on your biz. Very few go on there to report good work IMO.

3. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

The BBB is a joke organization.

Don't do it.

kc

4. All_Clear

Yeah, You can also use it to find out how many claims and such have been made on a business, not just report bad business.

Like when i used it the one time i did, i found out there were tons of claims made on the website for not shipping, no refund, the list went on and on.... Obviously the ones that have no claims, state just that... Needless to say i didn't waste my time or money trying to buy from them. So in that case it may have saved me some money and a bigger headache.

All Clear

5. All_Clear

Well i didn't... I have a hard time shelling out money for anything... Even if it is fully deductible :laugh:

To be honest IMO the BBB is a good place for checking out "certain" business but i really don't think anyone in this town is going to bother even looking me up on the BBB... They are either going to hire me or not, most have made up their mind before they call.

I don't do alot of advertising, newspaper ad here and there, doorhangers and i have a few online ads in place, otherwise i don't heavily advertise. So i don't see the use of their logo greatly benefiting my ads...

All Clear

6. Lizard Lawn Care

Lizard Lawn Care LawnSite Member

The BBB had great value prior to the modernization of the Internet... It is obselete, they just do not want to admit it.

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Dude, got a news flash. They put that info on their site on businesses in their service area whether they are a paying member or not. Remember also IF you wasted the money to join, which is what it is, then your business MUST follow their guidelines in handling any complaint you may receive, NOT your policy, even if YOU are right and the PITA customer is WRONG.

You did the right thing in not wasting your $300. :drinkup:

8. All_Clear

At first i thought it was some new phone scam, they seemed to want info info info at first, which i wont give... 1.) they already have my number and obviously my name and biz name... Then asked lots of, what do you do, where do you service, throw in a whats your mailing address, back to more questions about my biz...

Basicly i just let the lady read her pc screen and when she reached the part that said $300+ i cut her off and said ahhh I'm not looking to be spending my hard earned money... which led her into the spill about using their logo when advertising and being on their website blah blah blah... :dizzy:

I finally ended with a no thank you and she still insisted on leaving a number and ext. to call later :rolleyes: (some people just don't take no for an answer) so i jotted it down :laugh: uh huh sure....

Have a good day...

All Clear

9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

The BBB is a scam.

Oldtimer

10. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

$300 ? more like $20 bucks a month unless they have different rules. I am a member but only so I can use there jpeg on my flyers.