The beloved toro 2-cycle Suzuki vs. the 4-cycle Suzuki

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eddie B, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Both 5hp models on the Toro 21" - How does the OHV 4-cycle compare to the 2-cycle as far as power, reliability, etc?

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, now there is 'the' one area where I can find something good to say about the Toro/2 cycle Suzuki combo....

The 2 cycle Suzuki is VERY reliable.
    No muss, no fuss, no problems, less maintenance....

Don't know a thing about the 4 cycle version.
    Didn't know they made a 4 cycle Suzuki....

3. Eddie B

from gone

its possible my dealer lied to me... he said mine was the suzuki 4-cycle

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Do you mix the fuel? If you do, its not a 4 cycle.

5. Eddie B

from gone

its a 4 cycle...

6. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

We have four 21 inch Toros. The two 2 stroke engines are Suzuki manufacture and one of 4 cycle engines is a Suzuki (old mower from 1986 still in use) and the 2004 year Proline has a 4 cycle Kawasaki. IIRC all are 5HP except the Kawasaki at 6.5HP.

All four have Blade Brake Clutch system with the aluminum recycler deck with the plastic kickers in place. They all seem to mulch mow and bag well with our cool season grass mixes. The old 4 cycle Suzuki is the one that gets most of the use as it still works great and my son take pride in knowing the mower is older them he is. This was his lesson in taking care of equipment.

Baily as to your question of power between the 5HP 2 and 4 stroke Suzukies engines. Our 5HP Suzukies seem about the same in ability to mow heavy grass. They sound different as they come under load due to firing pulses. The 6.5 HP Kawasaki seems to have a slight advantage and suspect this is due to increased torque at around 3200 RPM goverened speed. Additional point to remember about 21 inch direct drive mowers is that to keep the blade tip speed below someware around 18,000 - 18,500 feet per minute (for safety and regulation - not sure on exact numbers) the engines are set to run around 3150/3200 RPM, not at their usual engine manufacturer HP rated speed of 3600 RPM. Thus actual in use available HP is less than stated engine placarded HP. Some people raise engine/blade speed but I would not recommend due to safety issues

Best regards

ayne

7. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Baily

Forgot to add this to above

If you have model number available (usually on rear of deck sticker or metal plate) we can look on Toro web site to get engine HP and Make. Post it here or PM me and I will look it up if you want.

Wayne

8. Eddie B

from gone

I couldn't read the lable on the back without washing it, but here's a pic. How old do you think this mower is?

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

That's a late 80's unit.... Yeah, I've been around this that long.... :dizzy:

10. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Ed

I agree with Envy late 1980's to early 1990's with a different bagging system than the Proline/Recycler deck setup. If you clean the lable off let us know.

Yes the engine is a Suzuki 4 cycle OHV engine. Great engine like the 1986 Model year engine we have. The engine starts the first pull. Use 30 weight Valvoline and change ever 25 hours with only a few ounces of oil use between changes. I like this engine as good as the 2 stroke Suzuki (one very nice engine). We use our on small fenced lots and two very steep grades that the larger mower won't safely get.