The Best 21", trying to make the best choice.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by VanceTrendov, Mar 18, 2005.

1. VanceTrendov

VanceTrendov LawnSite Member

Last year was my first year in business and all of my equipment is going to be new this year I don’t want to be a scrub anymore. I am going to be servicing at least 50 accounts this year and the lots sizes are all very small (a lot are 5000- 6000 square feet). I don't want to spend $1000-1300 on each commercial 21 because I want to wait till exmark comes out with the metro 26. So remember this mower aren’t going to be used in a couple of months of consider that when you give advice. I am going to buy a Viking 36 and I need a couple of backup 21's. This is my problem:

I don’t like the personal pace, or sens-a-speed.

I want something fast. 5 mph would be the best.

I want something in the $300-400 range.

Well the toro’s that are out now without personal pace top speed is only 3 mph. This is the same with the lawn boy, 3 mph top speed. The toro's with personal pace top speed is 4.8 and I think the lawn boy with sens-a-speed top speed is 4. Here is my questions is there a way to replace the handle so I can have a cheap mower with a high top speed. Or is there another brands that have a cheap mower, that goes faster then 3 mph? Please post some suggestions, or tell me if you think 3 mps is fast enough.

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

It sounds like you are aware that you are throwing away your money so why worry. Just buy the cheapest thing from Lowes and be done with it.

I would spend the $1000.00 and get the Toro and you will have it forever.
    But that is me. I like to spend wise money once.

3. VanceTrendov

I am waiting till the metro 26 comes out thats why I dont want to but the metro 21. Unless can get a good deal on some used ones.

Vance Trendov

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I want something fast. 5 mph would be the best.

Vance,
    Can you share with us how you control a hand mower at 5mph while mowing?

5. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

Why not buy the cheapest lightest mower you can find and run with it? You can do wind sprints from one end of the yard to the other.

6. VanceTrendov

The viking goes 6mph, i am fit and can run/walk fast behind the mower. If it can still give me a good cut then its ok. I am running this company and all my account by myself right now and anything that I can do to make me faster. Last year I had an account that took me 12 mins alone to mow the back yard at 3 mph. I could fit a 26 metro in the back yard but not a 36". At 5mph and 21" I bet it would be 8 mins, because i still have the turns. I have other account that use the 21" for small stuff. The thing Is that I am here to make money. 4 mins a week times 30 weeks. Thats 2 hours I am never going to get back. If i plan on haveing more smaller account that have needs for the 21's I need to think this out.

Vance Trendov

7. PMLAWN

A Viking at 6.2 mph is a lot easier to control than a light weight 21". The weight of the unit will hold it down. Also at that speed you have to ride. My Toro 21" will do 4+mph but I can not so I don't see doing 5mph. that is almost a run.

I still think the point that you are only going to use this till April (we hope), dictates that you buy the cheapest thing you can get and save your money for a 26". If you intend to keep it as a tool than buy the quality.

8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

my old honda 21" goes faster than my quick 36, which does five miles an hour, and I run behind it (the honda) if I put the speed on full. from what I've seen a 26" really would not fit too well with an operation that doesn't bag everything. I would get the new commercial honda. if you really want to go cheap, buy two hand ryobi 21"s and mow with both at the same time until you get your 26" metro.

9. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same question about a cheaper fast 21. I dont think there is such a thing, speed is the main thing forcing me into a Toro 21 commercial. My husky 21 is way way too slow, its really costing me time, and if i hire an employee this year... forget about it.

dudes, is toro making a 26 too? the exmark dealer is 2 hrs away, toro rep said "we are perfecting the 26 yadda yadda"

10. PMLAWN

Every Toro guy has told me no but I don't see why not as they are the same mower, just as the 21"