1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

The best 36" hydro WB?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ShortCuts, Jan 29, 2001.

1. ShortCuts

ShortCuts LawnSite Member
    from Maine

We are pricing 36" hydro mulching WB's. We want a nice little 36" hydro to fit in all those tight backyards and around the fenced in pools on some of our accounts. We just priced out a 2001 36" toro hydro w/mulching kit.....they want $4300! TO me thats a lot of cash for a little 36 incher. What do you guys recomend? What company makes the best machine for my buck?

2. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

Unless your really set on the hydro, I'd consider a belt drive for a unit this small. A 36" is light and easy to handle and a belt drive is substantially cheaper. Save your money for the larger primary mowers. Russ

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't disagree, save the $$ for bigger mower in hydro, look at the 36" Exmark. I have one, and its awesome. Never had one problem with it. But if you still want a hydro, they also carry it.

4. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

ShortCuts,
    I have a 1999 Toro Hydro WB with a 36" deck for sale for $3,200 obo. Let me know if you want the spec's, and pic's. Send me an e-mail.

Mike

5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought my 36" Exmark hydro used from my Exmark dealer. Low hour exec. shape for $2300.00 I just had him keep a lookout for me and low and behold someone traded one in on a Lazer. He called and said come on in and check it out. I traded in an old belt drive model and ended up paying $1800.00 for the 36" hydro. No more belt drives for me. No comparision between the two!

6. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

New Scag 36" 14hp Kaw Blet-Drive 2495, same unit only Hydro 3995 New Encore 36 2595 5-speed trany with reverse. New Snapper Pro Express 36" 12.5hp Kaw 7gauge steel deck dual idlers for positive reverse, 5 speed trany/reverse 2850. All machines are priced ok, and with the new you do get that warranty. If its just for use on those small gates i would prob get the cheaper belts but if i was to cut much at all go hydro, ive got two both hydro ,i have several hilly propertys, and the Hydro's are the only way to go. But i put alot of hrs on them.

7. jay

jay LawnSite Member

In my area I found a exmark hp for 3000, I still think thats too much though I found a metro for 2100. I never used either of them. Has anyone in here used these, is it really worth the extra 1000 for a floating deck? Whats the difference between the two?

8. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I have a derby 36" hydro paid $2900 friend price I thing they run about $3300 usually.

9. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a belt driven J.D. 36 an i love it .got about 300 hrs on it an no complaints here

10. Superior Lawn Care

Superior Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Ive got a 2000 36" Bob-Cat belt drive that i paid $2,400 for last year brand new. No problems with it yet. And if you are not going to use it much I would go with the belt drive and save yourself some $$$$. But thats just my 2 cents worth.