1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The best all around stick edger...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NittanyLawncare, Jun 23, 2008.

1. NittanyLawncare

NittanyLawncare LawnSite Member

I have a few jobs coming up which require that I re-edge existing beds that haven't been done in some time. I would essentially consider them starting over and am lost as to which stick edger would be best to tackle tasks like these. I will also be maintaining these edges...what I'm looking for is a good all around stick edger thats just as capable of making a new edge on a bed as it is maintaining the existing ones.

I don't know if I need the most powerful one in existence, but have read past posts and people tend to look at these large displacement ones for doing new edges. The price tag of the largest ones also makes me squimish, around $500 dollars, which is a alot to spend on something that I only plan on using a handful of times every week or two.

Now I've looked at stihl which many people seem to recommend, but I have used their 4-mix and just don't like it. Problem being that the straight shaft units they make seem to have the most power out of any of the other brands out there, and everyone recommends them. I'm partial to echo, they never let me down, but am wondering if the pe-311 would be powerful enough or perhaps even the pe-260 would work...

Redmax, Robin, Shindaiwa, Kawasaki?
  2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Echo....and get some Trenchblades.
  3. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i like the stihl 4 mix. ive had it for 6 years now and love it. as for maintaining bed edges i use the string trimmer.
  4. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have ANY type of edger now. If you do, then use that and then once the edge has been made jus use ur string trimmer. dont make it any more difficult than it has 2 be.
  5. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Is the added power of the PE-260 or 311 required or is the power of the PE 200 or 230 sufficient?
  6. NittanyLawncare

NittanyLawncare LawnSite Member

Indeed, I am open to using any brand, but really need to know which model would have enough power to tackle all around tasks.
  7. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't cheat yourself.....treat yourself......get a Redmax!!!!:laugh::laugh:
  8. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Stihl FC110 (31.4cc's) for a dedicated unit or if you need multiple tools look at the Kombi system. I'm looking forward to getting a KM 130 (36.3cc's) with attachments. If you don't have a Stihl dealer then I'd say Red Max would be the other choice because they also offer a straight shaft edger.
  9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have the 260, but I believe the other's would be suficient.
  10. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

no matter what brand you buy get the straight shaft. its way more powerfull. and better for unkempt edges. im getting one as soon as possible.