The best Blade sharpener?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RyGuyusMaximus, Jan 4, 2008.

1. RyGuyusMaximus

RyGuyusMaximus LawnSite Member

So what is the best way to effectively sharpen a mower blade?

Do they make an automatic system for sharpening blades like the factory?

2. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

The factory job sucks, why would you want that?

Try a table top belt sander.

3. RyGuyusMaximus

O I don't know. I'm brand new to lawn care on the Commercial scene.

So clamp it down and use a hand held belt sander. Ok is ther a technique or angle I shouls follow?

4. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

go on ebay and type blade sharpener. Those ones by Oregon are OK, depending on how much your sharpening they last alooooong time. Don't forget to get a blade balance as well.

5. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

I clamp it to the table with the blade hanging off one side and use a hand held grinder. I used to use a bench grinder, but I can do a lot better job with a hand held. Don't leave it in one place too long or it will burn, and don't take too much off. I'll have to look up a sharpener on e-bay though, because it takes some practice to get good with the grinder and I would like a simpler way for the employees to do it.

6. RyGuyusMaximus

Ok thanks!

7. DaveinSWFL

DaveinSWFL LawnSite Member

I use to use a bench grinder but didn't feel I got the correct angle evrytime and was not happy with the cut after a few mows. I invested the $$ in a Magnamatic 9000 blade sharpener and I definitely see the difference. I feel the $900.00 was well spent. I have two new exmark ztr's. I figured it was like buying a sports car. When I first started and used the bench grinder, I bought a sports car with a 4 cylinder egine. Now I have the sports car with an 8 cylinder. I you can afford the Magnamatic, its well worth it.

8. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

I spent 600$ on the magnamatic. Well worth it.

9. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

If you do the bench grinder like I said I do be sure to wear safety glasses (obvious I guess, but I just thought I'd mention it since some of my employees need to be reminded- I'm sure most of us are smart enough to figure that out)

10. Mr. Big

Mr. Big LawnSite Member
    from Erie PA

The best blade sharpener is the Mag 8000.