1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The Best Brush/Grass Killer?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mower_babe, Apr 18, 2005.

1. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

Not new to mowing, but new to chems and I appreciate all of your opinions. Question - what is your preferred chemical for total kill for brush and the such? In your opinion, what has the best price, kill rate and duration? Thanks guys.
  2. mower_babe

3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

If you give a bit more info on your target it would help in giving a specific answer. Are you using it in bedding areas, fence rows, lot clearings, agricultural. There are so many different chemicals available that do different things. If you want things dead along time in a landscaped area, and you want to kill everything then maybe you use Pramital. It is a soil sterilizer and it does a great job. It is not something you want to use near plants of any type, even trees as it can make bad things happen. If you are a farmer who wants to spray some dry ditch banks with all manner of growth then you might choose Crossbow as it has a high concentration of Triclopyr which is great for brushy weeds, and a good amount of 24D which is great for broadleaf weeds. Glyphosate is cheap and you can change the concentration mix to stunt grass growth all the way up to killing small trees if you so desire. Some things you can use on grass and only kill the weeds, and others like Glyphosate that are dangerous over the top of grass if you are not well informed and very careful.

Give us some more info and we will help you out.
  4. mower_babe

sorry about that. What I am mostly looking for is something for parking lots and areas such as that. Some of the weeds are quite tenacious. Thanks ;)
  5. MIDWEST25

MIDWEST25 LawnSite Member

2-4-d amine and msma or round-up
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Mower Babe

Straight Roundup does a good job on most things but Turbocharged Roundup will get almost every thing. Turo Charged Roundup is 2.75 oz Roundup 41 % and 1 oz of 2-4-D per gallon.
  7. Duramax99

Duramax99 LawnSite Member

Sycthe mixed with Lesco Prosecutor. Sycthe will burn down the top of the weeds in a few hours and the Prosecutor will take care of the roots.
  8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Pretty much what I use Ric, except 2 oz each. Also, If I don't want anything coming back for awhile, I'll add 3 oz of Oryzalin.
  9. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

1.5 oz of RU is enough for any grass , add 24d and you got it all .
    Nothing escapes
  10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Air Head

Try and kill Bermuda with twice the rate you are using. I am sure the lower rate may work in your area. However we all don't live in a desert.