1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The Best Leaf Collection System Made?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnshark, Nov 18, 2001.

1. Lawnshark

Lawnshark LawnSite Member

We just purchased the model 15 woods leaf collection system from grasshopper. We have a 1528 Woods Mow'n Machine and it is basically a 618 Grasshopper. I absolutely love the vac system. As far as attachments go and the simplicity of the attachments I think Grasshopper has the best. What do you guys think??
    Jeff Boggs
  2. I had a grasshopper back in the day's. My Lazer with a peco vac out performed it by a large margin. It will do well providing it suits YOUR needs not mine. Grasshopper makes a good machine but this is a battle like the thread that was argueed over the past few weeks Walker vrs. midmount. It all rides on what suits YOUR needs.

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have run a Walker 48" GHS unit for a few years. It has good and bad points. I demoed a Hustler 60" Z a while back that had the Bac-Vac unit on. It was far better than the Walker for collecting and could be taken off very easily to become a side discharge unit.

My buddy just bought a Grasshopper 725 D and loves it. Its too big for me.

4. deason

deason LawnSite Member

Now I've got the best leaf machine. She's 14 yrs old and loves to make extra money. When she's not raking leaves she doubles as the family dishwasher. Only problem is that sometimes she does'nt clean her room. Other than that, Just perfect. :D
  5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Seven little words: EXMARK LAZER, ULTRA VAC,
    LOW LIFT BLADES!!!!!!!!! :D

I have used this system for two seasons now. Last year did a nice job, but there was some blowout under the deck, had to go over again to get all the leaves. With suggestions from exmark, and LS members, I purchased some low lift blades this year, and the results are AWESOME !!!!!!!!
    The unit is very easy to take on and off, and also easy to dump. The unit is belt driven, so there is no extra motor to do maintenance on.
    I do leaf clean every week, and almost all of the leaves have fallen. There will be very little time spent to do the beds,and around houses, etc. I have been watching numbers and all the customers will pay a little more than before, but it has made the work of leaf cleanups much easier for me... and the customers are happy, because the leavs don`t sit around and blow all over, what a mess that used to be.
  6. we run grasshoppers with the leaf vac, pretty good. we would pick them up and dump at the curb and load in a truck with a tailgate leaf blower. NOT THIS YEAR!! we haven't vac the first leaf or hauled any away, we've been mulching them , if customer's hadn't seen us mulching them they would have thought we picked them up. i can't see us picking up anymore with the results we are getting, but 95% of our customers we never see, maybe that works better.
  7. JBLawn:

Isn't that deceiving your customers. You tell them you pick them up, then you just mulch them and charge them with the customer thinking you picked them up and hauled them away.
  8. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Did he say anything about billing them for removal??? Maybe I missed something:rolleyes:
  9. JBLawn wrote
    OOOOPPPPPSSSSS. I missed the "n't" in "hadn't"

I missread this post. Sorry for the incovinance.
  10. maybe i should have said our customers don't care as long as the leaves are gone and the lawn is clean.