The best machine to use?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by gravtyklz, Jan 15, 2006.

1. gravtyklz

gravtyklz LawnSite Member

Well I have need to play with a machine all of the sudden.

Some land my dad has owned for almost a year now he wants cleared out. It has an old single wide mobile home on it too.

The mobile home needs to be demolished, and then put inside of a dumpster....who knows how many loads?

Other than that it may need a little grading, some small trees knocked down and put off in the woods. Its mostly all clay I believe.

My dad wants to put a small house on it to sell with the land.

So anyways....I figured it a good opportunity to rent a machine and play with this job....since its not for a customer....theres no reputation risk.

With my lack of equipment experience, and the job at hand.....whats the best piece of equipment to use? I want to keep the cost down as much as possible....since this would maybe take a few days if not more since this is my first time.

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Well, an excavator would be the best to demolish the house, but a skid steer or backhoe would be best for the grading and knocking the trees over.

3. gravtyklz

I dont really have the means of transporting an excavator, and the location is about 30 miles from the nearest rental place, and that rental places biggest excavator is maybe 10K lbs.

Could I wing it with a skid? What size skid for the grading.....and if the skid will work for the demo.....what size?

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I am sure you could but it may not be easy or pretty. I have demoed several trailer houses these are the issue. The steel beams that run under the trailer will need to be cut. I use a demo saw with a steel cutting blade. Have water or an extinguisher on hand. I use an excavator and a skid steer but if I had to do it with a skid steer only this is what I would do. Rent a large capacity skid steer (preferably over 2800 pounds of lift)with a dirt and grapple bucket. Tip the trailer over on its side. Using the grapple bucket start tearing away the structure until you reach the steel beams. You then will need to cut them into pieces you can handle. It will amaze you how much material you will generate. Be ready for numerous loads to the dump. Also be aware that many dump locations have restrictions on what can go in the containers. It may be quite a job for a rookie but it could be done.

5. gravtyklz

The demo part of it seems like a pretty big job ide say....unfortunately its so old....someone looked at it and said theres no way in the world its in good enough shape to throw axles on and be pulled out.

I dont have anything that will cut the steel beams....so with the rental cost of a skid steer, something to cut with, the two buckets......and ill have to hire somoene to do the dumpsters.....

Am I better off finding someone to do the demo work....Im not so worried about the hassle as I am the cost of me renting things and since I have no experience....I may need them for longer than one would expect....

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

You could demo the house with a 10K pound excavator way easier than you could with a skid steer, just do that and rent a saw to cut the beams. Then rent a backhoe or skid steer to do the grading. Either way, you're going to need the experience, cost right now I wouldn't even factor in because what you're going to learn by doing this job could very well make or break your run at the business.

7. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Gravty......
    Check with your local fire house and see if they need some practice putting out a house fire.....offer your Mobil as the test site.
    We have done this on several occasions and enjoyed watching the firemen do their thing ( getting safe practice to boot! ) and then doing the clean up afterwards.

8. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

a 10k pound excavator will get the job done just fine, and whats wrong with using an excavator for grading. it will knock down small trees just fine just dig around the base and push it over. an hour or two on the machine tearing int othe mobile and you will get pretty good at it.

9. gravtyklz

Looking at the machine a little more....its a Yanmar vio35. Its about 8k lbs. The guy at the rental yard was a little off apparently.

We own a 3/4 ton van that can tow about 7500lbs. I'll have to rent a trailer reguardless, unless I can find someone with a car trailer or something.

But obviously with the wait of the trailer and the excavator, I'm looking at 9500 lbs.

Should I go ahead and pull with the van anyways? I guess the only other problem is that the van doesnt have any hookup for trailer brakes....with that much weight should I?

10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I like your idea. FF always want to light something on fire just to put it out:rolleyes: Trailer fires take all of 7 mins to burn to the frame.

Get a cutting torch. Would be faster than a saw with a metal blade. Trying to cut 3/16-1/4" steel is hard and long work with a saw. You really got to cut it up to get it in a dumpster. Heck a plasma cutter would be even better.

Also I got a new bobcat and been dying to play with it. Maybe I can come over to play.