the best mower ever

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by befnme, Dec 1, 2005.

1. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i think someone should come up with a mower with a front discharge . think about it the clippings will be blown back out front only to be chewed up again and again . a clean lawn every time . and leaves would dissentegrate .

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

they make them. they are called REEL mowers. they were the first mowers made.

3. befnme

yeh but i mean like a w/b or something with regular blades .

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

For all that, I believe the trick is to close the chute some kind of way so as to truly recycle the clippings...

But really, just keep sharp blades and cut with the discharge facing such way so that you ride over the clippings on your next pass, etc, etc...

Striping does it some, but I like the racetrack - Start by doing 2-3 perimeter runs with the discharge facing IN, then turn around and do the rest with it facing OUT.... This for one keeps clippings off the paved surfaces / driveways / walkways / etc... Once done, ride around the perimeter and this part and that again but really not the whole thing, just 5-10 minutes recycling stuff, I dunno, just comes with time I guess...

5. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

ok, but explain to me this, what happense when you are done with a row and come to the pavement, and it throws all the clippings out into the road, or into the beds. I could go faster with a shears than the time you would add blowing all that stuff from half way down the neighborhood.

the other thing, is that you would have no airflow whatever. so you could only do it on single blade mowers, or mower with gangs.

6. befnme

good point but what about rear discarge ztr' s do they spray it all over also too ?

7. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

the best rear discharge mower i have clip's the grass, chew's on it for a while passe's it threw a mulcher then rear discharge's it at a 20-1 racio. The only problem is keeping a bagger on it. It alway's fall's off.

8. Justcutitshort

Justcutitshort LawnSite Member

Reel mowers discharge to the rear, not forward. At least the ones I used to use...............That was a 1955 Toro.

9. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

You can se this mower in the picture on www.bhsporthorses.com (the only real complaint is when the bagger fall's off it really leave's clump's)

10. befnme

lol you got me there for a min . i was really looing for a dang mower . i have one of them too . i had 12 but sold al but my original 1 . got a couple o cows too .lol:p