1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The Best Mower For Thick Grass?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DillonsLawnCare, Apr 27, 2008.

Which mower performs better in thick grass?? Sometimes Wet.

Poll closed Aug 28, 2008.
  1. Toro w/ Turbo Force Deck

11 vote(s)
  2. Scag w/ Velocity Plus Cutter Deck

20 vote(s)
  3. Exmark w/ Ultracut deck

12 vote(s)
  4. John Deere w/ 7 Iron Deck

9 vote(s)
  5. Exmark w/ Triton Deck

5 vote(s)
  1. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

what is the best ZTR for cutting thick grass. i usually cut long/thick fescue and i was wondering if there were any brands that really stand out. thanks
  2. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

The Walker's GHS/ front mower manicured cut , or if your talking tall field grass, or wide rough area's, 7-Iron deck

3. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Bad Boy or Scag!
  4. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

hey, i used a customers older 7 iron today and was really impressed! It cut great at full speed and thick grass.
  5. btnj47

btnj47 LawnSite Senior Member

just saw a bad boy for the first time today at tractor supply. It looked like a solid mower and felt comfy but the nearest dealer to service it in my area is about 2 hrs away yhats the only thing keeping me from that line. so will be buying a scag ztr it looks like or possibly bobcat , exmark as they are the only dealers nearby
  6. nosparkplugs

Walkers vacuuming GHS is hands down the best, Fescue is not a "popular" southern grass; however it does well in shady area's here in memphis. Here are some pictures of a account I have with bermuda & fescue turf combined and this was one pass no double cutting. Lots of folks are posting double cutting pictures. Nothing can compare to a Walkers GHS Deck with one pass

7. BobcatBoy06

BobcatBoy06 LawnSite Member

get a new toro diesel with the turbo force you won't be disappointed
  8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

nosparkplugs -- That lawn looks like it's purposely been manicured to have part lush green and the other part half dead ... what gives ??
  9. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I would vote for either the scag velocity or toro turbo force. I can't wait to see the cut of the dixon blackbear though. It mulches like a beast!
  10. nosparkplugs

it is Bermuda & Fescue, the Bermuda is still coming out of dormancy. I just got this account this spring, and the Bermuda is still dormant. I am also going to rip out the rotten landscape ties & install Tennessee natural field stone this month.