The Best Mower For Thick Grass?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DillonsLawnCare, Apr 27, 2008.

?

Which mower performs better in thick grass?? Sometimes Wet.

Poll closed Aug 28, 2008.
  1. Toro w/ Turbo Force Deck

11 vote(s)
    19.3%
  2. Scag w/ Velocity Plus Cutter Deck

20 vote(s)
    35.1%
  3. Exmark w/ Ultracut deck

12 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. John Deere w/ 7 Iron Deck

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  5. Exmark w/ Triton Deck

5 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

what is the best ZTR for cutting thick grass. i usually cut long/thick fescue and i was wondering if there were any brands that really stand out. thanks

2. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

The Walker's GHS/ front mower manicured cut , or if your talking tall field grass, or wide rough area's, 7-Iron deck

[​IMG]

3. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Bad Boy or Scag!

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

hey, i used a customers older 7 iron today and was really impressed! It cut great at full speed and thick grass.

5. btnj47

btnj47 LawnSite Senior Member

just saw a bad boy for the first time today at tractor supply. It looked like a solid mower and felt comfy but the nearest dealer to service it in my area is about 2 hrs away yhats the only thing keeping me from that line. so will be buying a scag ztr it looks like or possibly bobcat , exmark as they are the only dealers nearby

6. nosparkplugs

Walkers vacuuming GHS is hands down the best, Fescue is not a "popular" southern grass; however it does well in shady area's here in memphis. Here are some pictures of a account I have with bermuda & fescue turf combined and this was one pass no double cutting. Lots of folks are posting double cutting pictures. Nothing can compare to a Walkers GHS Deck with one pass

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. BobcatBoy06

BobcatBoy06 LawnSite Member

get a new toro diesel with the turbo force you won't be disappointed

8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

nosparkplugs -- That lawn looks like it's purposely been manicured to have part lush green and the other part half dead ... what gives ??

9. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I would vote for either the scag velocity or toro turbo force. I can't wait to see the cut of the dixon blackbear though. It mulches like a beast!

10. nosparkplugs

it is Bermuda & Fescue, the Bermuda is still coming out of dormancy. I just got this account this spring, and the Bermuda is still dormant. I am also going to rip out the rotten landscape ties & install Tennessee natural field stone this month.