1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The Best Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Clay Trussell, May 15, 2002.

1. Clay Trussell

Clay Trussell LawnSite Member

I am a newby so I need some help on what would be the best mower for the $$$.

So far I like the Dixie Chopper. I also like the Walker. What do you guys Think????
  2. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Really, the best mower for the $$$ would depend on what type of yards will you be cutting. a Dixie won't be too good going through 32" gates. A walker is a good mower for grass collection but the are known to wear out motors fast due to lack of air flow around the motor. Best mower for the buck is an Exmark 36" metro belt drive with a 15 hp kohler. $1999 in alot of areas.

You never mentioned how many yards you have to cut or employees working with you. There are alot of determaning factors that help in the decision of what type of mower you will be buying. Next look for the best service out of your dealer. No mower will be good if you can't get it serviced by a good dealer.

3. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

4. Tim Baden

Tim Baden LawnSite Member

My vote is for EXMARK.Just remember
    when you want to be the best,use the best.Good Luck!

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

everyone has there own opinion. I have been a dixie chopper man for years and tried just about everything from exmark to ferris to whatever I could find, now I am switching to bladerunner mowers they are the best mower for production mowing in my opinion!

GRASS PRO LawnSite Member

I have tried a little of everything as well and I agree with rebelmachine on the bladerunner. However you might take a close look at your accounts and also your local dealer. After all the best machine made will someday break and you will need service.
  7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i think u picked two pretty good brands.
    exmark ,hustler,and several others are also good. dealer support is probably what should determine ,what u buy.
    i think u are on the right track tho.
  8. if ztr are what your looking at I would look at these in no order. There all great and have there own quirks. Walker,exmark, dixie,hustler,ferris and great danes. these are all good. If your looking at wb i would look at hustler then exmark and toro. But buy hydro not gear driven. You will be much better off in the long run. I think you would be happy with any of the brands mention
  9. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Exmark! :D
  10. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Not too expensive to buy and very productive machines with little downtime and easy to repair.

Also, the new Kubota ZD21 and ZD28 look like a great value on a liquid-cooled diesel ZTR, comparable in cost to many gas models, yet with a real diesel engine.