The Best Mulching Lawn Mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

:help: I'm planning on buying a new commercial 21" mower soon and am trying to find the best mulching model. Price isn't really an issu since they're all around 1k. What mower have you known to be the best mulching from your experience. I'm looking at John Deere JX75, Toro Proline, Snapper Commercial Rear Discharge/Mulching, Honda Commercial, and Exmark Metro 21". Also, what is the best engine choice, Honda or Kawasaki. Thanks for your help.

2. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Proline/Metro with a Kaw.

3. ahlab

ahlab LawnSite Member
    from OK

I second that. . .

4. Shane7258

Shane7258 LawnSite Member

The toro commercial will pick up damp grass but the snapper leaves a better look but will clog easy if the ground is damp

5. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

My 21" Toro Proline mulches very well in most under most conditions, including wet or high grass, and rarely clumps. I think it is an excellent choice. Mine has a 2 cycle suzuki, but they don't make those anymore. I think they are available with a Kawasaki. If they are, I say go with that one.

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

My Honda way out mulches my Toro Proline. Mine is the old style I modified to mulch.The new is supposed to mulch very well . If you also need to bag tall or wet grass the Toro is handicaped with a narrow shute, so again Honda. The Honda has a better drive IMO for durability as well as speed control. In a tight small yard the Toro is easier to use with its short Handlebar. I would not consider any other brand.