The best oil to use in a Kohler CV20 motor? in SW Florida

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida's Suncoast Lawn Care, Aug 11, 2012.

1. I do, I shouldn't have told him 200 on filter...20/50 huh...where did u get the viscosity gauge? I run 10-30 all year, but I know in this heat a thicker oil may be better. When do you change?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Tri-City Outdoors

Tri-City Outdoors LawnSite Member

We change our oil/filter often and use 20/50 this time of year. 10/40 or 30 in the cooler months and generally use a cheaper oil. I like the Valvoline racing oil personally. Also add some Lucas oil treatment year round.

3. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

I was curious about a viscosity checker as well because I had never heard of one. After about thirty minutes of searching the net I was able to find some info on them. Turns out they don't exist.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I'm currently running 11.25W35 :D

I left the drain open and lost 1/2 quart of 10w30 before I noticed. The only other oil I had was some 15w50.

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Learn how to use a search engine. Its a two vial falling ball viscometer. Mine is a military surplus from the 50's. One vial is filled with new oil, the other with used. Both balls are released at same time, when one reaches bottom the other is stopped. A scale tells you how it compares to the new. Small manual ones run 250 to several thousand for electronic models. I found mine at a garge sale. If you didn't know what it was you would look right past it. Its a fun gadget and shows how fast the heat wears down oil even with modern viscosity index improvers. I stick to 200hrs max.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. mjlcare2

mjlcare2 LawnSite Member

You spent 30 minutes and didn't find anything? I looked for 30 seconds and found dozens

7. carbpow

carbpow LawnSite Member

Agree. Always go with the manufacturers recommendation. While I am not a professional lawn guy I have had over 30 years experience with engines as an engineer in design and operations. When the engine is designed they figure in a safety factor so if you change your oil AND filter as recommended you'll be good. Most importantly you won't void your warranty. If push comes to shove I'd rather skip an oil change than a filter change. It's the dirt that damages the moving parts and the filter is your only defense against dirt.