1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The Best or both worlds! trimmer guards on and off at the same time

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheKingNJ, Jul 2, 2005.

1. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

Now i don't usually post time saving tips or anything but i discovered a good one.

Now I hate running my redmax weed whackers with out the guards because of the fact that you get hit with so much more crap, safety for my guys, and if the line gets too big you cant get it shorter without a knife, but i do love how quick we can knock out large areas of grass in minutes.

what i discovered ( maybe everyone else is doing this and i don't know about it) is bend the guards up about an inch. this way you can run the line as long as you want and still be more protected from flying debris. but even better is if i want to cut the line shorter, i just step on the guard with one foot and flex it back down for a second till the line cuts and the it pops back up.

now i don't know if anyone else has done this or you think its a stupid idea but it has been a really good time saving tool for me, i was wondering if this would help any of you guys.
  2. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

Like the Beer commercial "Brilliant"
  3. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Sorry, I haven't used a guard in 19+ years. Easier to weed eat around things and you have a clear field of view.
  4. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Some of you Kids Really are Just off the Boat...Run the Line Full Throttle Against a Hard Surface...Voila.
  5. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

yeah i know there are ways to do it but most of them are kinda a pain it the ass
  6. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Sounds like a good idea to me, I'm sick of getting hit with crap from not using a guard, but, I hate guards so much! Anyway, your guards are plastic, right? And they will still hold their shape once you bend them? I'll give it a try on one of my trimmers that still has the guard left on it tomorrow and see how it works. Thanks for the tip.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

LOL and don't trim weeds growing in gravel driveways.

I don't get hit much by debris, took me a few years to get it right but the weed-eater head rotates counter clockwise and there are tricks to how to hold it to make the debris fly exactly where you want. First off, you do not want to aim it AWAY from you so yes you still aim the crap towards you but if you hold it at a slightly different angle then the crap flies past your legs, in my case, to my right.
    Once you figure out the angle, you may one day realize you can use a weed-eater as a blower to get rid of light debris (especially if light debris is all you have, saves a trip to the truck to get the actual blower).
  8. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

and you hit someone with some debris and they sue you, the fact you did not have that guard WILL come up...even if it would have made no difference whether you had the guard on or not, that fact will come up and the lawyers will have a hayday with it...plus, running that line even ONE inch above the proper amount heats the head up beyond what is supposed to be and causes premature wear...it also voids any warranty...don't ask me to explain, these are facts...
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

And then you have a perfect flared string that doesn't cut worth the beans. A sharp edge makes all the difference in the world. When you have a fresh edgae that is cut square, your trimming is so much more precise and clean. I can't stand when the string gets flared or split at the ends. I can HEAR the string when someone else is using it and tell when it needs to be sharpened.
  10. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

same here. i can stick the guardless head between tight shrubbery, hedges... even one account, there's a hole in a chainlink fence i shove it through to hit some weeds. and ofcourse deck stairs.

i have a collection of brand new never used guards if anyone needs one :)