1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

the "BEST" piece of equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by John at JDH Select, Apr 18, 2004.

1. John at JDH Select

John at JDH Select LawnSite Member
    from Indy

Let's hear it guys...

The debates go on and on about the best trimmer, the best trucks and the best mowers; but I am just curious about everyone's best piece of mowing equipment.

From trucks to trimmers, I have always been very happy with my choices and made a bunch of money with them; however, there has to be "ONE" dependable, accurate, comfortable piece of equipment that each of us has relied on for years.

Mine is a 2100 Echo trimmer. I purchased this over seven years ago for home use only. Since then, I have purchased over $200,000 worth of additional equipment, but the old 2100 still runs strong. It never fails to start on the first pull, it feeds perfectly and has never hit the shop table. It is comfortable, light weight and a pleasure to run. I've also had similar luck with an old 48" snapper pro WB. My operation has grown dramatically since the good old days, but I have kept the original equipment in top-notch condition and it continues to serve us.

Final Thought: I maintenance my mowers religiously, from wash and wax, to oil changes, blade sharpenings and filters. This is indeed the life of all equipment. Do not buy in to the guys that say you should upgrade equipment on a bi-annual basis. Take care of what you have and it should last a very long time.

Now, let's hear it!!! What is your best machine?
  2. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

Toro 36" belt drive fixedg deck T-bar. Has never had a problem with it. Only changed the oil, spark plug, air filter and fuel filter. Starts up on 2 pulls in the morning, and then 1 pull for the rest of the day. I hook a JRCO up to it each spring and it works great. This is my 4th or 5th year having it, and I am bery happy with it.
  3. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Best equipment for the money spent -- Edgit attachment. Favorite piece of equipment overall -- Tanaka wheeled edger. And the Masterchute will be up there if it lasts a while.
  4. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

My 44" Toro Z100, it has never failed me and it always runs strong.
  5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Isuzu NPR HD crewcab with 12 ft. dump bed. after using a pickup truck for years and having limited room and having to unload the grass or prunings by hand everynight this is the best single piece of equipment I have purchased.Any other mower,trimmer, etc. I use I could get along with something else, but not my truck.
  6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

My hands. cause if I didn't have them all of the equiptment I own would just sit there.
    Other than that my stihl hs45 hedge trimmers. Much money made for such a cheap hedger.
  7. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Specialtylc, any chance you could post a pic of your truck?
  8. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

My Scag 48 WB mower has been flawless since new. I rebuilt the Kawasaki engine at 2700 hours ( it still ran well at 2700 but the HP was down a bit ) and it currently has 3650 hours on it and it cuts like a million dollars. I only use it on steep slopes or in areas where the Z can't go, but it has paid for itself many times over.
  9. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

One of the best bvuys is probably a Byers 36" I bought around 10 years ago. Paid $1300 for it and she still runs strong today. Dont know the hours but I can say it has a LOT. Just replaced the spindle bearings last winter, but thats all Ive ever done to it besides general maintenance.
  10. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro 355 hands down. Excellent cut and is bullet proof.