The best ramping method?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jiacovino, Apr 11, 2009.

1. jiacovino

jiacovino LawnSite Member

What does everyone think is the best method for moving a 36'' WB in and out of a truck bed. (To make a long story short, I'm trying to avoid using a trailer because I'm going to mow my girlfriend's parents lawn every week--they live an hour away--so I don't feel like taking my equipment on a 50 mile interstate joyride).

Obviously the least expensive, and probably the most dangerous, is wooden planks. This is the method I currently use, and after yesterday, barely avoiding a disaster, I think I want to move on to something more safe.

The other method would be fold up ramps that are wider than 12'' planks...this would be a little safer, and probably between $150 - $250.

The most safe, but definitely the most expensive would be to invest in either HandyRamps, BuddyRamps, TailgateRamps, or Safe-T ramps. All of these methods would push me over the $700 mark.

If I'm going to use ramps to take care of 15 - 20 clients a week, what do you think is the best method? And for those who use tailgate ramps, is it worth the extra $?

2. hondarancher4435

hondarancher4435 LawnSite Senior Member

get a nice set of aluminum folding ramps a real good set will run you around $250 and make sure they have a good design for traction.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

My $1,500 trailer is worth every slip of a tire on that metal surface incline,
    not to mention when it wants to come off sideways, don't ask me why it does this.

Now the fact that it's an hour away isn't much fun...
    But I still wouldn't take that chance, now that's just me.

4. Ruben Rocha

Ruben Rocha LawnSite Senior Member

Here is something on youtube with a riding mower loaded on a truck with ramps.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=res8Qtx-MHE
    All I can say is be careful.
    I would never do it because I can't afford to be injured and not work.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

He wasn't even wearing shoes...

6. Ruben Rocha

Ruben Rocha LawnSite Senior Member

Well even with my trailer ramp using a wright sentar sport 36"
    If I am in a hurry loading up I pop wheelies so it is scary enough by itself.
    I have had to jump off the seat to get the front wheels back down on the ramp.
    So I can't imagine with a truck ramp.

7. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

just buy a used mower to keep at their house!!

8. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

the northern tool website has some diffrent ramp options to get the WB in and out of your truck. if your mowing for 15-20 clients a week whatever you get will pay for itself pretty quickly. a trailer also has multiple functions and it looks more proffesional

9. jiacovino

jiacovino LawnSite Member

thanks a lot for the advice,

It seems like the more money I spend, the safer I'll be...

so I'll probably go for either TailgateRamps or Safe-T ramps.

or maybe i'll just go for trailer and take the chance with the long drive

10. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

A good set of aluminum ramps should be sufficient, just make sure they are strapped to the truck so they don't slip when loading and unloading. I have a Perma-Green hitch mounted carrier that would work perfectly for you, too bad they are so expensive.