1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The best ramping method?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jiacovino, Apr 11, 2009.

1. 81Bronk36

81Bronk36 LawnSite Member

Is building a dovetail and ramp on your truck an option?? I have thought about it because of it being hard to find parking where I mow.
  2. polerpoker

polerpoker LawnSite Member

Your whipped!
  3. jiacovino

jiacovino LawnSite Member

Haha, maybe you're right...

After doing some more research, I'm leaning towards these models

-Safe-T ramps (connects to a 2'' hitch receiver and extends bed $650)

-TailgateRamp (replaces tailgate, $800+)

-BuddyRamp (I guess, no longer for sale)

Does anyone know of any other models like these?
  4. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

5. JohnnyCuts

JohnnyCuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

Take a sheet of 1 inch cdx plywood, cut it to size. At one end put strip of the plywood to make it double thinkness. To this end put a pair of Rampparts on it. Attach a chain from the front of the ramp to somewhere in your bed to make sure the ramp can't slide off. Simple, safe, and cheap.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  6. Smittie

Smittie LawnSite Member

There you go saves you the trouble and safety and money of loading up your mower to mow 1 yard an hour away.
  7. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

for $700 you can buy a nice little 4x6 or 5x8 trailer. I have one and I dont even notice it with the 3/4ton trucks. I pull it with my little S10 to smaller jobs when the big stuff isnt needed and barely notice it then too. Trucks sip gas compared to bigger trailers.
  8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

This would be your best option. The only thing I can see that would be a issue is if the property is large and buying a mower to do it in a reasonable time. If it's 1-2 acres, it would take a long time to push mow it. He did mention using a 36" WB. Maybe he can find a cheap rider for a dime and leave it there.
  9. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I just bought a safe t ramp and it works great. I run my 36 up and down it without any problems or worries. I didnt want or need a trailer for many reasons so I went with the safe t ramp and I am very happy. The people at the factory are very nice and helpful.
    If you buy one order the acessory kit. It comes with handles, lanyards for the pins, and straps. It is worth the extra $50.
    If you have any questions pm me and I will try to answer them.
  10. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member