The best riding mower (IMHO)

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by oilman1, Mar 8, 2014.

1. rickpilgrim

rickpilgrim LawnSite Senior Member

Simplicity has a long history running Briggs and Stratton engines. The large frame garden tractors ran cast iron 10-16hp 1 cylinder long stroke Briggs until around the mid 80's , then switched to Kohler twins after that until the end of production. Every engine in simplicity that we owned went over 2000 hrs, most closer to 3000 before an overhaul was needed. Nowadays , Briggs owns Simplicity so most are back to Briggs
    But to answer your question I really like the old cast iron Briggs 12-16 hp engines for the fuel efficiency and torque but my favorite pulling motor was the Kohler KTII 17-19 hp twins in the 7117 and 7119 for the sound and power even though they are thirsty.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  2. muggz

muggz LawnSite Member

Plus 1 on the simplicity's.

3. cmartin53

cmartin53 LawnSite Member

I like the heavy duty braided wire conduit on the LX176/Kawasaki 14 H.P OHV.
    Beefier belts, heavy duty frame and deck with grease zerts and Tuff Torque hydrastat transmission.
    Compared to MTD and Craftsman
    I owned, they are not in the same class.
    My only thumbs down on JD is the plastic hood on the LX188 I recently purchased. The LX176 had no hood when I bought it.
    The replacement prices are out rages.

4. pede58

pede58 LawnSite Member

We bought a JD 212 in I believe the late 70's and still mow with it. Deere ran kohlers for years till they started to have problems and switched to kawi's, guessing that's about the time Simplicity picked them up. Deere does have a cheap line as mentioned, throw a ways like most of what you buy at the box stores. I like the pump/motor drives which is only found on a few today and it's an easy swap when one goes bad but never had a failure and it's not a hydrostat. I now have a Toro Z-master, 72in cut and once you make the switch you'll never look back. As for a tractor being safer on slopes, take a good look sometime at foot print and center of gravity between the 2 and let me know why you think that.