1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

The best skid steer for the money?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by MooseMan89, Oct 2, 2012.

1. MooseMan89

MooseMan89 LawnSite Member

Hi guys, and thanks for taking a peek at my post..

I am interested in buying a skid steer in the near future.. I get so many calls from customers inquiring about "Bobcat work" and I don't even have that service listed on any of my ads..

So my question is, what is a good skid steer for the money? I run a small lawn care maintenance operation and will be using the skid steer for light work, i guess.. Mainly grading lots to prep them for sod installation, etc.

What's the best one to have? Also, which is better, tracks or wheels? In GA, we have NO snow! Will be used on dirty and mud only!

Thanks in advance.

2. tonydirks

tonydirks LawnSite Member

Kubota all the way!! I have used alot of different skid steers/compact track loaders and Kubota beats them all we have the SVL90, possibly larger than what you want but I am confident you would not be dissapointed in a Kubota SVL75 or SVL90

3. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Rentals all the way man, just add the rental fee into the estimate.

4. aird208

aird208 LawnSite Member

What is your budget?

5. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

My gehl is a pretty good bang for the buck. 2007 5640 with 6xx hrs. No problems and still on the original tires
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. MooseMan89

MooseMan89 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input guys! I have a $10K budget. Looking to buy a used one obviously. I looked for a Kabuta skid steer, and found none used locally.. Only farm tractors.. I see everyone around here using Bobcat and Deere brand. I will look into Gehl.

Also, what difference does the HP make? I see some at 45 hp while others at 75+ hp. Does it make it lift heavier loads or push dirty more?

7. aird208

aird208 LawnSite Member

As mentioned above, I would suggest renting different skids. This will allow you to figure out what size of skid you need for the jobs you will typically use it for and also what features you need/want.

8. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I you're doin sod get a machine that can lift 2500 lbs. i think mine is about 60 hp
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Jimer

Jimer LawnSite Member

I am in Ga as well and we run a New Holland Ls 180 with metal tracks. Great machine imo. You can find them used pretty easy. Rubber tracks will have lower impact on the ground but they are more expensive and you only get about a thousand hours on a set. Tires are cheaper. I was a mechanic for a local Caterpillar dealer a few years back and i like the cat skid steers but most of them are problematic. The only ones any good are 216 and 226 a and b models. Thats all i have experience with. Where in Ga are you?

10. nparish

nparish LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

I second the gehl. Have a 4835 and it's very comfortable plus you can't beat the control setup