The Best Stand on Mower

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Larson Lawn Care, Mar 4, 2013.

?

What is the best stand on mower?

1. Wright stander

23.9%
  2. Toro Grandstand

15.8%
  3. Exmark Vantage

13.4%
  4. Great Dane Surfer

2.4%
  5. Scag V-Ride

24.9%
  6. John Deere QuikTrak

6.7%
  7. Gravely Pro Stance

9.6%
  8. Bad Boy Outlaw

0.5%
  9. EverRide Scorpion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Ferris Evolution

1.9%
  11. "HATE THEM"

2.9%
  12. Other

2.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

This is my second season with the 36" V-ride. I got it to eliminate push mowing where I cant get the big mower through a gate. I know 36" is super small but it will go virtually anywhere! To boot, it will give an excellent cut at much greater speed than I could walk behind any other mower and will turn around in the smallest space, even on the trailer. I've cut so many dog pins never having to put a foot on the ground.

2. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Seriously? Can you get a mower for about two grand less than MSRP? If thats true,I will be going for sure. I think I want a stander,one that you can also walk with on slight hills. Very,very torn between that and a walk behind.:hammerhead:

3. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Before buying my 48 Grandstand a few years ago I used a 48 Turf Tracer HP. The Grandstand outshines the Walk behind in all aspects including hills. Now granted, not too many hills where I am at but I can make it track straight on the side of a ditch and the Turf tracer was a nightmare compared to the Grandstand. Stand ons are quickly replacing Walk behinds and I believe they will eventually take over many conventional Z turn sales as long as manufacturers dont gouge on pricing like they are doing with the sit downs.

4. S&H Mowing

S&H Mowing LawnSite Member

The V ride received my vote, although it is the only stander I have tried. Demoed it today for about 4 hours of run time. Was really unsure about the higher center of gravity on hills, but I used it today on some small but steep hills, and it really performed well. I had no issues with it sliding out, or doing wheelies and not cutting well.

wanting to purchase a used one I have my eyes on for 5000. 600 hours. not sure what its worth, but a stand on is what I want, I believe.

5. BobbyBoy

BobbyBoy LawnSite Member

My QuikTrack always gets the job done. I personally never tried the others but I heard great things about the grandstand.

The stand on my John Deere is pretty comfortable and rides smooth, never experienced any problems with the equipment the only con I could think of is the price.

6. BCR840

BCR840 LawnSite Member

I have had the GS 48" (2010) and it did great on hills. I had the mulch kit and it did a good job on leaves and tall grass. It didn't do a good job on thin weeds but a lot of mowers don't. The main problem was that the mower was mounted to the deck and caused it to dig in to uneven areas more. Sold it when I got 600 hrs. and bought a Walker. Sold it and just went with the V-Ride 48". I just like standing up better. The Walker MBK23 was a great mower on Bermuda but sucked on everything else. And it was actually good on hills. But the back aches I got from it was getting old. I am so far pleased with the V-ride. I installed the mulch kit and ran it yesterday and it didn't leave anything behind after 2 passes on thick Bermuda. And if you don't know its hard to get leaves to disappear into short Bermuda. The hill side stability does not seem like an issue. Once you get comfortable on the stander type mower I think you can take it anywhere. I have done some super steep hills here in GA.

7. Doug Green

Doug Green LawnSite Member

I have a 36,52, and two 61" Wright Stand on mowers. They are awesome! Plus made in Maryland, which is our state of business. They move along at a pretty good click and do a great cutting job. Maintenance is generally the same for any other mower. Also, the yellow color is nice and visible so people can see us hard at work chasing money.

8. wdrdoctor

wdrdoctor LawnSite Senior Member

According to this poll, the scag v ride is in 1st place,2nd being the wright stander. I'm curious what it is about the scag v ride that more people are impressed with compared to the wright stander?

9. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Just a guess but might be because of the velocity plus deck. If the Toro and Exmark votes are added together it is a bit higher than the Scag.

10. kswiney

kswiney LawnSite Member

We went from JD to Gravely pro stance best decision for us. We cut Southern grasses with relatively flat land but I have personally taken our 52" prostance on hills we could barely walk on with no problems
    Posted via Mobile Device