1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"THE" best tool for changing blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OnMyOwn, Aug 24, 2006.

1. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

Hi everyone!

I bought this little beauty about three months ago at my local Tractor Supply. It is a pneumatic powered engine hoist with telescoping legs. I bought a 12' engine strap to run under the caster wheels of the mower, then attach that to the chain drop of the hoist. So far we have used it to lift / change blades on Dixie Chopper, Gravely, Ferris & John Deere mowers. It seems to work great on everything. It lifts the mower as high as you want, and you do not end up blocking progress with jack stands, or rolling jacks.

This thing is amazing for speed. It makes things much more accessible when scraping and cleaning under the deck. You can hand-pump the cylinder if you choose, but the pneumatic function is awesome.

Here is the link for pricing in your area. http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=3&paID=1027&sonID=745&productID=8836

By the way....the legs fit in-between the casters on every mower, so far.

Engine Hoist.jpg
  2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

3. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

4. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

And what is wrong with running one wheel up on the edge of the trailer ramp to change blades?
  6. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

Ahh that would be free. I do the same thing.
  7. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

why not just buy a quailty machine from the get-go

8. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

whats wrong with a full size floor jack? Mine lifts pleanty high enough to use my electris impact gun.
  9. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Floor jack would be okay as long as you used some jack stands at some point. I use my ramp but on the Scag, there isn't quite enough room to get the ramp side blade off so you do have to move it to other side. Not a big deal, but one more step I'd rather not have to do.
  10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

If I had more than one Z to service then the lift he showed would be a great investment. For now though, the ramp is my best friend.