the best walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ronslawncare, Nov 12, 2000.

1. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i was thinking of getting two scags a 32 for the gates and a 36.the reason i choose scag is because every1 use them in my neighborhood and the scag dealer is in my town.i seen some ,toros,exmark,lescos ect around but mostly scag is scag the best in longisland most propertys around here are somewere around 100by100 or larger .wut would u recomend for me to start with .thanxs again 4 all yur help

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

First, you probably would be better off buying a 32" and a 48-52". Plus a 36" fits through most gates. As far as Scag being best....not in my opinion. They were quite popular here too. My 48" Scag, the loaner 48" Scag and replacement 48" Scag all were substandard and overpriced.

But you should demo a few and make your own decision.

3. ronslawncare

im definately gona demo them but whitch walkbehind in your opinion gives the best looking cut.yeah definately go with a 32 and a 48 good idea .48 for the front and houses with out gates and 32 with gates .

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Well I like the BobCats and the Exmarks. The Toro ain't bad either. But my opinion is not as valuable as someone else in your area. Afterall you aren't cutting St. Augustine and Bahia :)

Make sure you demo a 52 when demoing a 48. That is a whole different machine. The 4" larger deck is very deceiving. It is a much bigger machine and tends to not "bounce" around like a light weight 48.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Exmark

6. Duncan IN

Duncan IN LawnSite Member

I purchased a snapper 52in and love it the only down fall was i used it on 3 acre places before i got my z and it started to give me carpals tunnel, my hands turned numb, other than that it is a really good machine. Get a walkbehind with Kaw instead of a Kohler!

Levi Duncan
    Lone Tree Lawn Care

7. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

TORO,

That T-bar setup is the best. You'll never want another grip type steering machine - ever!

8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I would not even consider any mower with the "squeeze" or "grip" type handles. Toro and Great Dane have the best handles that I have tried, I did not like the T-Bar system on the Toro and was very impressed with the Great Dane Scamper's system.

It has push-forward, pull-backwards controls, and is very simple to use, best of all no carpal tunnel problems! It even has an adjustable max speed bar (the solid black bar in the photo) that allows you to control how fast it will go when the bar is pushed all the way forward. :)

Ray

[​IMG]

9. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I think a 32 inch wb would be almost as productive as 36 while it allows you access to more yards, combine that with some sort of 48, 52, or 61 inch wb and you can really move.

10. ronslawncare

i definately need the 32 for the gates alot of gates around my way and im tired of the 22 illefinately check out the toro and the greatdane demo plenty thanxs again...