1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

the best way to remove a bed of pachysandra

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by gatorcars, Mar 5, 2009.

1. gatorcars

gatorcars LawnSite Member

Hello,
    I am new to landscaping and with the economy as it is can't really afford to hire a professional. I have a rather large bed of Pachysandra which i would like to remove and replace with something a bit more clean looking that would also brighten up the front of my home. I live in a suburb in New Jersery the area around the bed gets very little shade. If someone could give me some advice i would greatly appreciate it.

2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

The cheap way is with a shovel. The professional way is with a tractor or skidsteer. You could put an ad in the paper for free pachysandra. That stuff is expensive by the flat. They may dig it out for you.

3. A-Land

A-Land LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, unless you want to get into some heavy herbicides for that, the best way to get rid of it is to dig it out. And the suggestion of maybe having somebody come and dig it up for you if they want it is also a good one, it is much more expensive than an invasive plant that spreads everywhere should be.

Digging it out is the only real way to prevent it from coming up, but expect to see stalks of it popping up for a while no matter what you do.

4. krider

krider LawnSite Member

This is what we use to remove Pachysandra.

Backhoe_border.jpg

5. gatorcars

thanks a lot guys, by the way any ideas about what i could replace the pachysandra with?

6. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

Pics of the front yard and house would help. Also, which direction does the front of your house face.

7. terraman21

terraman21 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

which direction as well will help north south... you know what i mean

8. gatorcars

i am going to try to get some pictures for you guys tomorrow but the front of the house faces west.

9. gatorcars

also when do you guys think is the soonest time i can begin this project?

10. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

depends on how much of a mess your willing to make. If you want the lowest inpact around your work site i suggest you wait till early summer when things have dried out and hardened up a bit. If you do it in the spring with equipment then you could make a mess with the machine tires digging in the muddy ground. If your going to hand dig it then have at it right away ans long as the frost is gone.