The Bi-weekly price.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfman33, Sep 2, 2003.

1. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

OK, we probably all have them, the Bi- Weekly clients. But how much do you charge them for an every other week service? I charge by the cut and I have been caught a couple of time saying that will cost them $25 a cut and then they say I want the service every other week. So what do you guys do? Charge double or extra on top. The trouble with doing bi-weekly estimates is that you really don't know how that grass is growing. Is it still fairly low at two weeks or is it like a jungle after two weeks. So putting a price on something can be tough.

Thanks

Steve

2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Steve

Down in FL it's gonna take monthly billing to survive .... can't do "per cuts" or "bi weekly" .... only single cuts are clean-up's or promo "check us out cuts" (which I really like as it gives a true time frame to make a good estimate with)

Fore us .... it's 42 cuts yearly .... figure the time "per cut" n get your yearly time .... multiple by your hourly rate you need to make at your point in time with what you have n your present expenses .... then divide by 12 for the monthly cost .... as you grow n expenses grow than increase your hourly rate ....

Coarse as you become more productive your time estimates will reduce .... but remember the added equip or employees hire to become more productive has a very real added cost ... thus one's rate must go up thru the years of service .... but this will "cap" out to what the local market will bare

Good Luck

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Would imagine that in the winter bi weekly is fine. Other than that every week would be better for you, your equipment and your bottom line..............:)

We have 2 customers getting the full package, but they tend to not water often enough. On occasion in the summer I have instructed the men to skip it over till the following week. No reason to cut a dust bowl every week. I bill them for 1.5 of the cut. Mind you this is summer, the lawn is dry and not growing.

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Bi what?? Don't even waste my time. How much will it cost you? Well of course double of every week mowing price. :cool:

6. Willis

Willis LawnSite Member

Burnouts? Every two weeks, charge service plus half.:cool:
    Of cores the customer has to agree or its a weekly charge, as long as my trimer or mower touches the turf. Like GLAN, no reason to mow a dust bowl every week.

7. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

never liked those acc. i was hardly worth the billing time unless they spent a lot on extras
    dropped all 2 week acc. when i had enough every weekers
    and wold not even quot a 2 weeker but if u have to do them i would go 1.5 per cut

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I think that if you need the business enough, then you will have to be flexible and give people what they want until you can fine tune your accounts and get what you want. It varies widely by area, but perhaps 30% more time per cut should be factored in if you're coming out less than weekly. And here, many lawns definitely will be harmed more than helped by weekly mowing during the dry hot summers with usually have(not this year, though). So you will have a hard time consistently charging for weekly service if the lawn truely does not need it. High end customers may just want to know you're taking care of it, but middle classers are a little more price conscious.

it's a tough thing to work out. One thing I know I won't do in the future is do any lawns 3x a month. IT may match the growth rate well, but it screws up routes completely. I would do a few "bi-weekly" customers (thin weed patches and slow growing zoysia) since they require very little time and I actually make a little extra charging so much more, but any healthy lawn gets mowed weekly unless it's a drought. So any lawn that needs it more than 2x/month gets it weekly.

9. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

i thought bi weekly meant 2 times per week?

10. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

That's semi-weekly