The big money maker for your business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soloscaperman, Sep 30, 2010.

1. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

What's your favorite when it comes to time and money? Spring cleanups, Mulch jobs, planting, regrading, seeding, treatments, tree work, trimming bushes, fall cleanups, or snow plowing?

My favorite would be Tree work and trimming bushes. They seem to make the most money quicker with less stress and overhead cost.

2. SkinnyVinny

SkinnyVinny LawnSite Senior Member

snow plowing hands down. I love it.. going out late at night, nobody on the roads, listening to crazy talk radio stuff. love it.

3. soloscaperman

Yeah but the gas, and stress on the truck over time. I get nervous snow plowing unless I have a second truck. Those people are relying on you so they can go to work in the morning.

I do agree though have the music up, coffee, windows down and heat blasting whipping the truck side ways once in a while. The part that sucks is if your by yourself and once your done after a huge storm right about when you want to rest you got to go back out.

4. SkinnyVinny

SkinnyVinny LawnSite Senior Member

stress?? thats just because you drive a chevy! haha kidding. yea it does beat it up, I try to take it easy on her during stroms.... who the hell am i kidding, I baby the hell of my truck everyday haha. I see theses guys ramming piles and shifting on the fly, thats what kills your truck. I'd rather be pushin some snow then pushin some mulch haha

5. soloscaperman

I remember one storm where I was on the road for like 8-10 hours straight then rested for 2 hours then went back out again! Just nervous with 200,000 miles on my original motor.Has the original head gaskets yikes! No worry I got a trained monkey that can do that in my garage since there so easy to do on the truck.

6. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine has to be vacant lot mowing. I just sit on my mower and dont get off. I charge more for trimming, but they rarely want that. Made 165 in an hour in a half, not super great, but not bad either.

7. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Landscaping can pull down a profit of $1 - $2K a day on a good job with a crew.
    Fertilization is also great. Pulling down $1K a day for a week just working solo.
    Tree work is good money but climbing up a rope or hanging in a tree all day wears you out. I make any where from $55 - $100 an hour doing arborist work.
    Landscape lighting can make you a grand even on a small job that takes half the day.
    In general being diverse is where the money is at!

8. Hell on Blades

Hell on Blades LawnSite Senior Member

I find the spring cleanups, especially the ones that haven't been done in a while, the most gratifying. I like to step back and look to see what I've accomplished in a day. They also tend to pay the best for the type of work that I do.

9. JBlawn

JBlawn LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I would say landscape intallls and fert. is by far the best money making availble in this buisness.

10. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd say mowing makes me the most money. Although I did make $75 for trimming a large hedge that took me a little over a half hour one time.

It's a Chevrolet gasser, right? It's just gettin' broke in......