The Big Plunge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ramossjr, Jul 28, 2004.

1. ramossjr

ramossjr LawnSite Member
    from TN

Ladies and Gents! I'm about to make the big plunge! I'm about to purchase a 5 yr old 14 hp 54 inch with 564 hrs John Deere Commercial Mower. I went to test it out, it cranked on the first pull, the cut was beautiful and I think it will do starting out. The price is $1400 and this comes with extras, too many to name. My question is do you think this is a pretty good deal? I've priced new ones (not John Deeres), and they're $2600 and up......I don't have funds for that right now......When I get larger then I'll begin to upgrade. Let me know what you all think.....:blush:
  2. jsmonroeCT

jsmonroeCT LawnSite Member
    from CT

I have a thought and this is what I would do and will do next year when I take my plunge. Take the $1400 and use that as a down payment on a new and then grab some of the wonderful financing that out there.
  3. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

If thats all you can aford then have a good look around first .
    Otherwise buy it ,you can allways trade up later:D
  4. 42homers

42homers LawnSite Member

Stay out of the used one!
  5. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

What new 54 inch mower can you buy for $2600? My 36 inch cost me $5200.
  6. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Remo you got hosed unless you have a 25HP motor and Dubs....

$1400 sounds high on a machine that is 5 years old and was originally $2600. It only depreciated 50% in five years. You could buy a new 36" for that amount. I dont know anything about John Deere but I would guess that mower was more than $2600 new.

One last thing I dont think that I would go below 17HP on a 54 inch deck. What kind of engine is it?? Kohler stay away IMO
  7. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

I had to have electric start, hydro drive,enhanced t-bar controls, dedicated mulching deck not an add on kit. That is what I paid for.
  8. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Ramossjr, are you just starting out? If so and this is going to be your only mower I'd maybe look for something a bit smaller to get through gates and stuff. If you already have a trim mower or something small then go for it if it seems to be in great shape.

500+ hours isn't much for a commercial mower but that is a pretty small engine for a mower of that size, so I'd be a bit careful.