the biggest reason you DON'T GET the job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Oct 4, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

tell me, when you give an estimate, and you DON'T get the job, what is the main reason? is it too high of a price, is it that the client asks questions that your lack of experience can't answer (no shame in that, just proceed, to the back of the bus please), or maybe it's because you are limited in the different services you provide. in any event, i know, i know, most of you are going to say you get 90% of the estimates you give, well then just tell me, about the 10% you don't get. what is the main reason you don't land them?

2. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

price. . .

3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

the one phrase i hear a lot is
    WOW i didn't think it would be that much

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Over customers budget for what they want.They want all this material and labor for these wonderfull landscape features and don't realize how much that stuff really costs.
    So when they see it they go"Whoa! mabey we will wait awhile or do it a little at a time."

5. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

One part of the sales pitch a lot of folks overlook is after the presentation the final question is overlooked.

Try this on some of them after you have presented what you will do and what it will cost. Before the guy has a chance to put you off -- this is the bottom line. Mr. Smith
    we can begin on your yard this afternoon (or first thing in the morning) will this be a good time for you ?

Nosmo

6. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

That is how I asked them ... was a salesman for a fortune 500 company in my other life. But I say "Mr. %$#^&, We can start your lawn care program this week or would next week be better". They usually start it this week.

Works like a charm!!

7. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have to say price is usually the issue. I would say 9 times out of 10, my price is higher than other contractors. There have been times where I was trying to sell a job that was too big for me, figuring I could sub parts out to friends who can handle it, and somehow I think people can sense that. I know one of my weaknesses is that I am not the best salesman. It is something I'm always trying to improve on.

8. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

I am new to the business and just started with larger landscape bids. I would say the major reason I loose residential accounts is price and not having the experience to sell my price. ( I learn something new every time I win or loose a bid) I have bid on a half dozen commercial accounts and never landed them, for the most part I think I lack all the services they want. I do not do snow removal or plant flowers. I also lack some equipment such as a core aerator and bedscaper just to name a couple of machines. I rent them and pass the rental fees on to the customer which I think makes my prices higher. So to answer your question Bobby it's a combo of things not just one reason I loose bids. But again I learn every time I do them, so I guess I gain something. And as far a knowledge of the business, I'll come sit in the back of the bus with ya.

9. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I loss when someone calls with BIG dreams and no money to back those dreams up!!!

10. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you all price commercial cuts ? Acreage ? man hours ?