The blade dropped??!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC, Jul 15, 2004.

1. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 36" JD WB mower that seems to have dropped one of the blades a whole 1/2". I didnt notice it until a customer came and told me the lawn looks good right after you cut it, but after a few days it looks like crap. Sure enough I check under the deck and one blade is really low. I didnt hit anything with the blades so I knew it was something big. I took the plate off the bottom of the spindle and the bearing is in pieces. I asked the dealer how much to replace a spindle and he said about $100.

Is it possible to replace just the bearings in them and not the whole housing too? The thing is the other spindle's bearings are the same (in pieces). Right now I just moved some spacers from the top to the bottom to even out the blade height as a temporary fix. Any ideas if replacing the bearings would fix the problem or could there be something else wrong? I checked the spindle plate and the deck and neither is bent.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Check with the dealer and see if he can get replacement bearings first. If he can than that means the bearings are replaceable. Then you need to disassemble the spindle and see if anything else is damaged before ordering parts.
  3. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

Yeah, if I can just replace the bearings in it I will. I will probably get them from a bearing place. There are a few around me still. I am just wondering if that is all that could be wrong.
  4. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Take the numbers on the bearings to the bearing place, to check for availability. Sometimes they can get bearings that the dealer will tell you aren't available seperate. Around here you can take the whole assembly to the bearing place and they will replace them for a charge.
  5. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

If your bearings are in pieces, don't mow with it again until they are replaced. You may harm the spindle if it isn't too damaged already. Don't get a cheap China bearing, buy a good brand from JD or a bearing house. You'll probably need to replace the outer race also. Be sure and repack it with bearing grease. It'll probably cost $12-$18 total for each spindle.
  6. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

Thanks for the posts guys. Yeah I was planning on getting some a place like Detroit Ball Bearing or something. I have read that american all metal high speed bearings are the way to go. I just hope that fixes the fact that I had a blade drop half an inch.