1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The burning question!!!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Four C. Landscaping, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Four C. Landscaping

Four C. Landscaping LawnSite Member

Every time I talk about going full time into landscaping I am always asked "so what are you going to do in the winter"?
    I have made a list of things that I feel are pretty good tell me what you think.
    1)end of fall - lawn mower clean up/oil change/tune up/ sharpen blade.
    2)winter Storm clean up
    3)house roof snow removal
    4)plowing (of course)
    5)exterior Xmas decoration set up and tear down
    6)in tough times a temp job(I have been a machinist for 19 years)
    This is an ongoing list and any additions from all of you are appreciated.
    I am going to go full time in spring of 2006 but will start my winter business this year to feel out the possibilities.
  2. Hardwood Jake

Hardwood Jake LawnSite Member

Since you get around with your lawn biz you should try to pick up odd jobs during the winter from your customers. And it does open the door to there neibors who do there own lawn care at this time but may be considering having a pro do it. Garage cleaning, Getting rid of that old lawn furniture, Cleaning gutters, junk hauling, painting,tree trimming, etc,etc,etc, use your amagination. Just make up a flyer and give it to your costomers od jobs in the winter time. Youll make out fine and you just might pick up a few more costomers too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Good luck
  3. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

There is usually enough work that can be done out here during winter, no mowing but other landscape stuff. Very mild winters.
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Charge enough for lawncare work and you should be ok during the winter.
  5. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Fuel Oil delivery.
  6. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Teel them you are going to make enough money during the summer that you will be laying around watching tv for the winter :D.
  7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -