1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The business without mowing...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jajwrigh, Jun 5, 2004.

1. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I am seriously contemplating dropping mowing while staying involved in the industry. I would focus on mulch installations, 5 step turf pest apps, ornamental installations/management, and maybe still hedge trimming and also edging. Has anyone made a successful similar move?
  2. Hokie12

Hokie12 LawnSite Member

Why do you want to drop the mowing? Why not just do mowing and do the rest of the things you want to do related to the industry?
  3. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I have thought about that too but I think that without the mowing you miss a lot of opportunities for all the other jobs. Although, advertising could take care of that.

If you come up with a good game plan, I see no reason why it shouldn't work. Most guys out there are only interested in mowing because it is easy. Seems like there would be a big call for quality maintenance other than mowing.
  4. two_planks

two_planks LawnSite Member

I'm sick of mowing. There is so much more money to be made in other parts of the industry. I'm finishing up the season with my mowing contracts and selling all my mowing related equipment except what I need to do my own lawn. Next year will be straight installations and tree care. I get triple the hourly rate for tree care that I get for mowing and a little better than double for landscape installation.
  5. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I did it!!!
    I dropped mowing this year and am much much happier without it!! My primary focus is on fert. and weed control programs as well as landscape maintenance with some installation work here and there. I went from 10 employees at peak season last year to 2 this year and I have a lot less stress than I ever have.
  6. lawn

lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, if you sell your accounts please let me know I am interested in buying them if you are in the boston area. Thanks!
  7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I think we'll always do mowing, just going to keep it limited to the best accounts we can acquire. It is a pain in the arss and makes me puke some days when I look at the return for the investment. It has opened many doors for us. Perhaps in the future, when landscape work leads to more landscape work, we can eliminate some more mowing. This season we have seen a lot more referrals from previous landscape projects rather than getting the projects from mowing customers.
  8. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

We don't mow, so we won't ever be in that situation to have to make that decision.

Here's my thoughts based on our company and our area (meaning they are probably not valid for the Indy area:D):

We had been doing lawn fertilization for our maintenance accounts. The though was that the fert would get put down on a regular visist. Wrong. Never worked out that we were at the 4-5 properties that needed fert at the right time. Usually had to blow a day to do that, just to get it done. Now we sub out the fert work, and I believe fertilizing/pest work is all the sub does.

Now for the mowing, everybody and their brother either works at Dixie or knows someone who can get them a discount on one. So there is a LOT of stainless running around the area. Mowing here is very little ROI. One of our new "companies" that got started this year has started low-balling everyone else. Mowing for less than 1/2 of what the established company had been charging. We are waiting for them to go out of business (they do other things that we do), there is no way they are or will be making enough money to get through the winter at the rates they are charging.

I guess if it was me, in our area, and I had to make the decision that you are, the fert work would simply be an added service. There is no way we could rely on it entirely, there simply isn't the market for it. Mowing doesn't make you rich here, as a matter of fact, I can't see how people actually make money with it.

So, I probably didn't answer your question, but did give you a little more insight into the west central part of the state.:D