1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The Carnage

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by all ferris, Aug 9, 2006.

1. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

As the title reads. This is a 23hp KAW that had approx. 2000 hours on it. The exhaust valve let go and did a number to the piston and the head. The head and piston are junk but other than that I think it can be fixed?? What do you guys think? Should I fix it or just buy a new motor. Dealer wants $1600 for a new motor (which I think is high).

2. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

And the head shot:

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

4. Kartracer55

Kartracer55 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Its not that bad :rolleyes:

The risk your running with just getting a new piston (or both) and some rings is what happened to the rest of the engine. Who knows what small pieces of metal just ate up your crank journals or something like that ya know? Id say a close inspection is in order if you decide you want to put money into this thing.

Im talking about plastic-gauge and vernier micrometers for the crank, accruate bore check (no telescoping gauges)... if its got that long it might not be worth it in th elong run to repair

5. Waterscapes By Design

Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member

heck if you got 2000 hours out of that engine, treat yourself to a new mower.....
  6. mowahman

mowahman LawnSite Member

Have a Ferris 61"DD that did that with a 23 Kawi. Replaced #1 cylinder head, cylinder, valves, keepers, gaskets etc.. only to have #2 cylinder go 3 weeks later with 835 hours. Replaced with a 25 HP Kohler,....and a new owner!!!